Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to set just one of the user accounts to boot into a command line mode? I am running Fedora Core 2 with the GNOME desktop and GRUB. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

User settings for Gnome

Is it possible to set just one of the user accounts to boot into a command line mode? I am running Fedora Core 2 with the GNOME desktop and GRUB. What I want to do is set up a user account for when I just want to log in and only use the command line interface for programming with a custom configured bash shell. However, I would prefer to leave the other user accounts set to boot directly into GNOME. If this possible please let me know how. Thanx for any help!

Linux Newbie
    I don't think you can really do that. ALthough you could just close the gui when you want to use just the command line and then start it back up when you don't. Which is basicly the same thing. It's just not login specific.

Just Joined!
    Actually you are able to do so with GRUB or LILO by passing parameter to it.
    The thing is how do you set up two options for them with one of them passing
    3 and the other passing 5. If GRUB passes 3 to Linux, Linux will start in
    Command Line Mode and if it is 5, Linux will start in GUI mode. But I am sorry
    to say that I do not know much about how to configure GRUB or LILO, you will
    have to visit their websites and ask experience GRUB or LILO users.