Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've been using Xming 6.9.0.31 with Windows XP for a logtime now. It has worked without issue. I've now gone to Windows 7 and I cannot get an X ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xming and windows 7

Hello,

I've been using Xming 6.9.0.31 with Windows XP for a logtime now. It has worked without issue. I've now gone to Windows 7 and I cannot get an X session to open. If I look at the xming log it gives the impression that a session is active but it just doesn't display anything. Every now and then it will work but majority of the time is doesn't.

Nothing has changed on the Red Hat server and clients using XP can connect without issue.

I've tried changing the resolution of my PC.
    I've upgraded the graphics drivers.
    Uninstalled/reinstalled Xming.
    Deleted my Putty connection config and re-created.

Any ideas what else I could try?

Thanks

PJ

Just Joined!

Kludge

Hi Criller,

Any ideas what else I could try?
    I admit it's a kludge, but depending on the available memory on your machine, you could try virtualization. Try googling "sun virtual machine" and after a bit of hunting you should get the required software (from Oracle these days, I suppose).

Once you've installed the virtual machine, you could install WinXP as the virtual OS and retry Xming.

Ugly, I know. And it won't give very good performance, since you'll have (at best) something around or maybe a bit over half your RAM devoted to the VM.

Hope a better solution turns up.

Achim.