Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Rubberman Well put Reed! If only there was a single package manager that all Linux distributions could agree on! My main workstation is SL6 (RHEL6) - yum. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Well put Reed! If only there was a single package manager that all Linux distributions could agree on! My main workstation is SL6 (RHEL6) - yum. My laptops are Ubuntu (apt-get, synaptic). What I would give if they were consistent between them all!
    The problem with a universal package manager is that you can pry Arch's pacman from my cold dead hands.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    The problem with a universal package manager is that you can pry Arch's pacman from my cold dead hands.
    Yeah. I hear where you are coming from. I used to love Gentoo's Emerge as well... Now, I don't care, though mostly I use yum (RHEL/CentOS/SL) which does a nice job of dealing with dependencies, and Ubuntu's Synaptic/apt-get (ditto). I think I prefer the command line tools like yum/apt-get to the GUI tools, but then I am a dinosaur!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Yeah. I hear where you are coming from. I used to love Gentoo's Emerge as well... Now, I don't care, though mostly I use yum (RHEL/CentOS/SL) which does a nice job of dealing with dependencies, and Ubuntu's Synaptic/apt-get (ditto). I think I prefer the command line tools like yum/apt-get to the GUI tools, but then I am a dinosaur!
    In my view this thread went too far and too away of the theme, which was whether the forum can help the guy asking the question to find a xorg ati driver for ubuntu 10.10 and amd x86-64, or not? (no matter what the package manager may be, and whether through the 'porthole' of the command line of the system terminal or by using the 'panorama view' of the graphical interface).

RE: 'The highly unusual arrangement'
    At the very beginning, when Fedora was Fedora 10 and Ubuntu was Ubuntu 8.10 and both had joint and successful projects the arrangement was pretty usual, but gradually with the time it became 'more and more unusual' reaching the state of 'highly unusual' because of the circumstances.
    The launching of the chaos started with hplip with the aerobatics of its binary driver plugin installed by a custom made package manager, after that came the MS fonts compiled from a server, and then the cherry of the cake - the i486 compilation of adobe reader. What chaos could be greater than that - only the installation of WINE.
    From that moment I start understanding that arrangement is nothing and chaos is everything. Wine should go, and so shall do some other things.

After that a time came when Fedora excluded GIMP from its desktop, and the list continues. The thesaurus of the desktop was X-rated, and so I installed the K-thesaurus (only) from the KDE in the Gnome environment ...

RE: 'The package managers'
    As for the package managers, I use only yum and rpm (and nothing else), and this is because yum extension ever since Fedora 10 (when it was wonderful), becomes more and more Y-rated with the time.
    Anyway, I am not complaining - the linux version is stable, has rich functionality and is pretty fast with the new gnome-desktop and nautilus upgrade from Fedora 13.

Apt-get is gone and gem is on schedule.
    If you have any other questions or answers - don't hesitate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2