Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I've HP dv-5 1006ax laptop with ATI 256MB graphics card. After Ubuntu installation i install all packages. When i upgrade ATI graphics driver and after restart my desktop is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop is not displayed due to graphics in ubuntu 10.10

Hi,
    I've HP dv-5 1006ax laptop with ATI 256MB graphics card. After Ubuntu installation i install all packages. When i upgrade ATI graphics driver and after restart my desktop is not displayed due to graphics but console is working fine. Please help me..

we would need to know the exact model number for the ATI card, as show by lspci output in order to give any further guidance

it is entirely possible that the combination of xorg and your card will not work in 10.10, from time to time ATI drops support of graphics cards after certain versions of xorg

Just Joined!
    Sir, ATI card's model is ATI HD 3450 256MB. please help me as soon as possible.

how did you install ati graphics? does hardware drivers menu not detect your graphics card?

Just Joined!
    Yes i install driver from hardware drivers menu but after restart desktop is not displayed due to graphics, can i remove that driver with console? or please tell any other way to solve this problem.

Downgrade the diver:
    $ su
    Password:
    $ yum downgrade <package name>-<version>

If you don't know the package name of the driver try with wxga*

See on the net other linux drivers for 15.4" WideScreen (WXGA) (not especially designed for your screen) and try with 'an emergency' driver.

If this still does not work downgrade to Ubuntu 9.04-desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by user-f11 View Post
    Downgrade the diver:
    $ su
    Password:
    $ yum downgrade <package name>-<version>
    Yum is the Fedora/RHEL package manager, not Ubuntu.

@suneet64
    Please post the output of
    Code:
    fglrxinfo
    Did you run the configuration tool
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    You should able to remove the fglrx driver with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove fglrx

RE: Yum is in Fedora/RHEL

I have all the package managers on my linux Desktop - yum, rpm, apt-get, even gem (just don't ask me what I am doing with gem). You may have yum as well:

$ sudo apt-get install yum*

Quote Originally Posted by user-f11 View Post
    RE: Yum is in Fedora/RHEL

I have all the package managers on my linux Desktop - yum, rpm, apt-get, even gem (just don't ask me what I am doing with gem). You may have yum as well:

$ sudo apt-get install yum*
    Be that as it may, when giving advice, why assume the user has a highly unusual arrangement? You know they will have the usual package manager of apt or aptitude if using Ubuntu or Debian, just as you know they will have yum if using Fedora. Use sane defaults, you know?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Be that as it may, when giving advice, why assume the user has a highly unusual arrangement? You know they will have the usual package manager of apt or aptitude if using Ubuntu or Debian, just as you know they will have yum if using Fedora. Use sane defaults, you know?
    Well put Reed! If only there was a single package manager that all Linux distributions could agree on! My main workstation is SL6 (RHEL6) - yum. My laptops are Ubuntu (apt-get, synaptic). What I would give if they were consistent between them all!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast