Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Arch Linux using OpenBox for a window manager and Feh for my desktop background. Sometimes when I'm browsing the Internet, especially places like YouTube, things that use Flash ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Flash 'Sticks' To Desktop

I'm running Arch Linux using OpenBox for a window manager and Feh for my desktop background.

Sometimes when I'm browsing the Internet, especially places like YouTube, things that use Flash (videos, advertisements, etc.) appear to stick to my desktop. What I mean by 'stick' is that even after closing the browser, I can see a still of the Flash content glued to my desktop. It bleeds through my wallpaper and through any application that is physically opened above it.

I ran ps -a to see if there are any processes running that could be causing this, but I see none (except openbox/openbox-session of course):

Code:
      PID TTY          TIME CMD
     1481 tty1     00:00:00 startx
     1507 tty1     00:00:00 xinit
     1514 tty1     00:00:02 openbox
     1525 tty1     00:00:00 dbus-launch
     1533 tty1     00:00:00 openbox-session
     1534 tty1     00:00:00 openbox-session
     1538 tty1     00:00:05 tint2
     1539 tty1     00:03:43 conky
     1548 tty1     00:00:03 xterm
     6295 pts/0    00:00:00 screen
     6402 tty1     00:00:02 gedit
     7810 pts/1    00:00:00 ssh
     9147 pts/3    00:00:00 ps
    My autostart.sh has the following custom entries:

Code:
    # Start at Boot
    feh --bg-scale /home/tristan/images/wallpapers/wallpaper_1920x1200.jpg &
    (sleep 2 && tint2) &
    (sleep 5 && conky) &
    If I kill X and log back in, it goes away. I'm using Chromium as my browser.

I took a print screen of my desktop while it was doing it, but it doesn't show up in the screen shot!

I'm wondering if anyone has ever experience this before, or may have an idea as to what might be causing it. I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I had a very similar problem a few days ago. Log out of your desktop and then log back in. I don't think a reboot is needed.

EDIT: I think it's caused by the newest Xorg-server or video drivers but I could be wrong.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I had a similar problem when I was running Nouveau for a video driver. It went away and hasn't come back when I installed the proprietary nVidia driver. This would only be relevant if you have nVidia video hardware.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks all.

Although, I'm sorry you guys are having (or were having) the same problem, I'm glad I am not alone!

Yup, logging in and out of my window manager fixes the issue, but only temporarily. The problem doesn't happen all the time, but I will usually encounter it once or a couple times a day.

I've actually been using nvidia proprietary drivers. Weird stuff, eh? I just updated them yesterday too.

Perhaps it is just a bug in Xorg. However, if anyone has an idea on fixing this, please share!

Thanks again!

I think it's a problem in X Server only. I couldn't find any bug report anywhere. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 these days and will file bug report with Ubuntu. I have a very old machine having onbaord SiS Graphics Card. I have tried sis and vesa drivers.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Try this and see if it works: do a ctrl-alt-F1 to go to a console screen, then ctrl-alt-F7 to go back to the GUI, without logging out. If that clears the detritus off screen, then it is probably an Xorg frame buffer problem (just a SWAG).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I haven't used Ubuntu for last few days. iirc, I have tried that already and it cleared the screen. I will try it again.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Try this and see if it works: do a ctrl-alt-F1 to go to a console screen, then ctrl-alt-F7 to go back to the GUI, without logging out. If that clears the detritus off screen, then it is probably an Xorg frame buffer problem (just a SWAG).
    Cool trick, changing the console screen is a quick fix! Thanks, Rubberman.