Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using Debian Squeeze Computer: Dell Optiplex gx260 I currently have the video driver set to nv. Section "Device" ### Available Driver options are:- ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Debian sqeeze: set video driver to intel?

Using Debian Squeeze
    Computer: Dell Optiplex gx260

I currently have the video driver set to nv.
    Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
    ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
    ### [arg]: arg optional
    #Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
    #Option "HWcursor" # [<bool>]
    #Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
    #Option "ShadowFB" # [<bool>]
    #Option "VideoKey" # <i>
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName "NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT]"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection
    I want to try the intel driver. How would I change this? I can't get the monitor to work when I plug it into the vga connection for the onboard.

Instead of "nv", set Driver value to "intel" or "i810" in xorg.conf file.
    Code:
    su -
    cd /etc/X11
    nano xorg.conf
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The intel driver won't work if your graphics chip set is nvidia and not intel. Run the display configuration tool (probably in System->Preferences menu), with the external monitor plugged into the vga port and turned on. It should detect the external display. You can use the tool to enable it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

My mistake ! I thought Thread starter has an onboard Intel Graphics card and he wanted to use it instead of Nvidia.

Linux Newbie
    I'm sorry if I was not clear. I have a nvidia Vanta card and I also have an onboard video card which I am trying to get working. When I connect the onboard video and boot up I can't get anything, not even the boot choices. Maybe the onboard video doesn't work or I need to configure something. I tried changing the driver to intel but couldn't get a screen.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification. You are trying to get the vga output from the onboard Intel video hardware to work, correct? Boot into the BIOS and check to be sure that the onboard video hasn't been disabled, or deprecated in favor of a bus-mounted device like the nVidia card. I know most systems I have worked with that had an internal video chip set worked this way. In any case, you should be able to tell the BIOS to use the onboard video instead.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Check onboard card settings in BIOS. Did you ever enable/disable onboard card in BIOS?

Rubberman is faster than me.. missed by milliseconds..

Linux Newbie
    Thanks. I needed to remove the nvidia card from the AGP to get the bios to choose the onboard video. I got the video to work, but the Desktop freezes after a few minutes, so it seems the intel driver doesn't work with my computer.

In that case, try "vesa" driver. It's a Generic driver and works fine with most of Graphics Cards.