Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two computers with 3D graphics issues, one is a Aszus Laptop with an Intel dual quad core processor and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card; and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 14 Graphics Driver issues

I have two computers with 3D graphics issues, one is a Aszus Laptop with an Intel dual quad core processor and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card; and a home built desktop with an Intel dual quad core processor and a Galaxy GeForce GT 430 graphics card. Both have 6 GB RAM installed.

They both had 3D acceleration when I first installed Fedora 14 and both lost 3D acceleration sometime ago after an upgrade from Fedora. The desktop also had an ATI graphics card originally, but the fan gave up after 3D acceleration loss. I purchased another ATI card, a Radeon HD 5570 for the desktop but the drivers will not support 3D acceleration. I removed that card and installed the GeForce GT 430 in the hopes the open source Nvidia drivers would work. They do not. The proprietary ATI drivers do not work for the desktop system either. Attempts to install them locked up the graphics and I had to reinstall the OS.

There is no Xorg.conf file on the desktop and probably not on the laptop either. Can anyone point me in the right direction to enable my graphics? I was waiting for a patch to resolve the problem but now Chrome is crashing regularly and the forums state the graphics issue is the problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by wdhammond; 03-23-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Uploaded Xorg.0.log.zip

Check and see what version of Xserver you are running:
    Code:
    X -version
    If it is 1.10.0, see this thread for a possible solution for the Nvidia card.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

X -version

X.Org X Server 1.9.4
    Release Date: 2011-02-04

I keep current as best I can. The current graphics card is GeForce GT430 with 1 GB Ram onboard. I do have a ATI Radeon HD5570 too, but haven't re-installed since the problem started.
    Thank you for your response.

i think the first mistake you made was buying an ATI card thinking it would work on linux

ATI support is still terrible, they've come a long way in the last year or so, but they still can't even compare to what nvidia offers

Just Joined!

Fedora 14 Graphics Driver issues

Perhaps you are right, but, the first ATI card did work and now I have an Nvidia card, and it doesn't work either.

Thanks for your replay though.