Find the answer to your Linux question:
I thought I'd post my experience in case it helps someone else with the same issue. I recently updated my home CRUX box. One of the updates was to xorg-server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Xserver 1.10.0 breaks Nvidia

I thought I'd post my experience in case it helps someone else with the same issue. I recently updated my home CRUX box. One of the updates was to xorg-server 1.10.0. When logging into X server using Nvidia 260.19.44, I received this error message:
    Code:
    WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING
    This server has a video driver ABI version of 10.0 
    that is not supportede by this Nvidia driver. 
    Please check http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates 
    or downgrade to an X server with a supported driver ABI.
    I tried adding:
    Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
        Option         "IgnoreABI" "True"
    EndSection
    to xorg.conf to no effect. Even when trying to load vesa or nv, I got the same error. Luckily, I found this. I then downloaded and installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.30.run which is built against ABI 10 and got X going again.

As I understand it, xorg-server 1.10.0 came out just days after the last Nvidia accelerated graphics driver releases. This issue should be resolved with the next round.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Cute! Fortunately, SL6 is running 1.7.7 xorg, so my nVidia 260.19.44 driver is still working... Anyway, thanks for the heads-up Dan!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Rubberman, this was a trap of my own making. On my home box, I like to get as far outside the envelope as possible! I pay for it often but always learn something new from the experience.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Rubberman, this was a trap of my own making. On my home box, I like to get as far outside the envelope as possible! I pay for it often but always learn something new from the experience.
    Indeed! I keep a couple of hot-swap backup system drives to install new operating systems on, and experiment with, so when "stuff" happens, I can just swap it out and be back to my working system. In any case, the info you provided may keep me from banging my head against the wall sometime in the future!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!