Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi friends!! I am an Ubuntu user and I have an old computer. My problem is that when I am watching movies, the movie reproduces with difficult, choked, faltering, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

faster Linux Distro

Hi friends!! I am an Ubuntu user and I have an old computer. My problem is that when I am watching movies, the movie reproduces with difficult, choked, faltering, and it doesn't happen in Windows.

I don't know what the problem is. If it is a problem with codecs, Could you recommend me good codecs??

But if it is a problem with the distro. What is, in your opinion, the faster Linux Distro? So I can play movies without stops?

Thank you very much!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Movies are very graphics intensive so you need to make sure you are using the proper drivers for your video card if you haven't done so already. The distro shouldn't matter much unless you are using a distro that is simply too heavyweight for your current system.

Post your machine specs here and maybe someone can give more information about what might be the problem.

Also, let us know what apps you are using to watch movies under Linux.
    Last edited by oz; 07-03-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    oz

Turn off all the eye candy if it is running. You might want to try installing a simple window manager like IceWM, OpenBox or TWM which can be accessed under "Secessions" when you log in. If that doesn't help, perhaps a new video card is in order and some more ram. ozar is right about movies being graphics intensive. Even under the best of conditions they can cause problems under any OS.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    Hi!! thank you very much! this is the output of lspci:

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333 AGP]
    00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5007G Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233A ISA Bridge
    00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 23)
    00:11.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 23)
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 40)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 86C326 5598/6326 (rev 92)
    I use VLC, and Totem, and I have problem with both of them. Even if I listen music it stop, but less often than when I play movies.

Thank you very much!!

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never used an SiS video card so don't know much about them or their drivers, but you can check this Ubuntu HowTo for making sure you have things setup properly:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Sis
    oz