Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an Intel Core2 Duo that I just upgraded from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14 (32-bit version). Now when the system boots up it will not go into X ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No X Server after Fedora upgrade

I have an Intel Core2 Duo that I just upgraded from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14 (32-bit version).

Now when the system boots up it will not go into X Windows. The screen for X Windows just sits there with a completed progress bar and the Fedora 14 text following it.

I use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch to a command line prompt and log into the system.

What can be done to restore the X Server so I can boot into the graphical system?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Doing a direct upgrade from FC12 to FC14 is guaranteed to fubar something - X in this case. My recommendation is that you backup your data, and do a clean install of FC14.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Actually, I did a yum upgrade. It downloaded about 1.4 Gigabytes of data, and when it was all done, the system was able to boot into X Windows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So everything is now working? Good deal!
    For future reference, though... Rubberman is right. When upgrading your OS, it's a bad idea to skip over versions.
    Doing so can break just about anything, and in a worst case scenario can leave you with a completely un-bootable machine.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.