Find the answer to your Linux question:
I started a thread last week: /180944-best-distro-multi-user-machine-2 I have divided my work flow into multiple users, userTaxes, userProgramming etc. This makes for an unstable machine though, what I really need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best desktop for multi monitors?

I started a thread last week:

/180944-best-distro-multi-user-machine-2

I have divided my work flow into multiple users, userTaxes, userProgramming etc. This makes for an unstable machine though, what I really need is more workspaces and one user. I would like a workspace switcher that can span two monitors. There seems to be some problems with this in gnome judging from the internet searches i have done.

Is there a desktop that has this support?

Thanks for reading-Patrick

Linux Enthusiast
    This is a property of your video card. To span the monitors, you need "twin view". This is not a property of the "desktop environment" ( i.e. KDE/Gnome/Xfce/etc)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As alf55 said... I have used twinview with both KDE and Gnome without problems. I prefer each over the other for one reason or the other, although at the present I am using Gnome.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks Alf55, thanks Rubberman

So just to confirm, twinview will allow workspaces on both monitors?

Have a great day

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can either configure the monitors as one big desktop, or as two separate displays - your choice. Open the display tool to configure it. This is not something that has to be done in the xorg.conf file.

Just Joined!
    Thanks again Rubberman. twinview is not available in the ubuntu repositories, I am just researching how to move forward with this. It could take some time but I will report back

Twinview is not something you find in the repositories - it is part of the X-window system. If you have multiple displays attached to your system, you will find that option in the X configuration utility.