Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
If you want to begin in textmode you can change initdefault in /etc/inittab to 3 instead of runlevel 5 which means that the system will NOT go up in X ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

If you want to begin in textmode you can change initdefault in /etc/inittab to 3 instead of runlevel 5 which means that the system will NOT go up in X automaticly.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Engineer
    Hehe, now that I recall, I believe that there are menubars on gdm. I guess I've gotten so used to kdm and how it displays a drop down menubar consisting of the different desktop managers. In Redhat 8 or above, isn't KDE and Gnome fused? When I installed Redhat 8, I know there was an option to choose between KDE or Gnome but I recall the desktop wasn't specifically Gnome or KDE.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Fused? I don't think so. Are you thinking about Bluecurve, mayhap?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Well, the overall desktop wasn't explicitly like Gnome or KDE. While I enjoyed Bluecurve, I couldn't find things as easily as I did in Gnome 1.4. The new features also discourage me from using it. I can recall that day when I installed Redhat 8 because that was the day I decided to port over to Debian although my fear of installing Debian was overwhelming.

Linux Guru
    I agree. There are a number of functions in GNOME 1.4 that I really enjoyed that aren't present in GNOME 2. I haven't tried GNOME 2.2 yet, though. Maybe they are back there.

Linux Engineer
    Well, one of the downside of using Debian is that while it is normal to use other dependencies outside of the NORMAL debian distribution, it isn't a good idea to do so in certain cases. Take KDE for example, since a lot of software builds on top of the kdelibs, changing this is a big problem. Other software like open office present no problems at all since nothing is built on top of it. So to make a short story short, I won't use Gnome 2 until Debian releases it as one of their packages (I believe the unstable version has this). I'm very content with KDE 2.2 as of now and I'm going to find it very hard to go back to Gnome. It's very funny that I'm even saying that since when I was using Redhat, I extremly despised KDE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2