Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I just updated from Kororaa 14 to 15. And instantly ran into a couple issues.... Computers don't like me today Right on boot up when the wallpaper comes up, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gnome failed and docky issue

Hi,
    I just updated from Kororaa 14 to 15. And instantly ran into a couple issues.... Computers don't like me today

Right on boot up when the wallpaper comes up, a warning pop up comes up. It says something about Gnome 3 failed and had to load in fallback mode. And it also says that it's most likely that either my video card or other hard ware can't support gnome 3. Once it boots fully I can click on the "GNOME 3 desktop switcher" and it says it changed it to regular gnome, or the other way, to fallback mode. But it doesn't change a thing, it stays looking exactly the same even after rebooting.

And so I couldn't find an answer. So I just went on with other stuff I needed to put on the computer again. First of which was docky. That also gave me an issue.

It wanted compositing, I fixed that and so its not an issue anymore.

But now the bottom gnome bar blocks it. And I have been trying to move the bar but it won't move. So is there a way to either move docky up a bit, or move the bottom bar of gnome?

Thanks, and hope you have a nice day

Hi,
    I just got the answers on another forum.

My video card in that computer is Intel 865G and it doesn't support Gnome 3. And then docky isn't supported by Gnome 3 yet.

I have a Intel D865GVHZ motherboard. What video cards would you guys suggest?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'm partial to nVidia cards, but there are plenty of good ones from AMD/ATI as well. You should be able to get a nice card (not top line, but good) for $50-100 USD.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I kind of liked this one:
    Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P1-N402-LR GeForce 6200 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI 2.1 Video Card

But are PCI 2.1 the same as PCI? My motherboard says it supports PCI cards.

My motherboard is a Intel D865GVHZ and from what I have found online it says it only has three PCI spots.

So would that card work with my motherboard?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Looking at the board technical specs on the Intel web site it apparently supports PCI version 2.2, so it should be just fine with a 2.1 board. This is an old mobo so it definitely does not support PCI-X. The intel site says that the board is at the "End of interactive support". In any case, I think this EVGA nVidia board will be about as good as you are going to get for your hardware. You might want to go to the Intel support page for this and make sure you have the latest BIOS and other cruft. Here is a link to the board's download page: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...Board+D865GVHZ

Won't I need to get Wine or something in order to run a .exe file? None of the bios downloads are for linux.

You don't think Gnome 3 would be too much for this motherboard do you? If it would be too much stress on it I might have to get a lightweight distro for it.

You can usually install a bios by installing from a FreeDOS thumb drive image. That's what I do.

From here?
    FreeDOS | Files

I have never used freeDOS. Then where do you get the thumb drive image, I only see .iso?

I think you can install the iso on a thumb drive, although the .img file can be used that way. Normally, Intel will provide a USB drive installable version of FreeDOS so you can boot and install the BIOS without a Windows system image. That's how I update my Intel S5000XVN motherboard.

I just got a PNY GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR3 PCI video card and put it in this kororaa desktop. It now runs Gnome 3 fine and is working so far.

Gnome 3 is a lot different from Gnome 2, will take some getting used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast