Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well if you don't have an /etc/inittab I must assume that you are using a distro which has switched from sysvinit to something else, likely upstart, which I know little ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Well if you don't have an /etc/inittab I must assume that you are using a distro which has switched from sysvinit to something else, likely upstart, which I know little about. Much of what I posted should still apply, but not all obviously. Hopefully someone else knows more.

Regarding X - Xfree86 is the older project. Xorg was forked from the Xfree86 code due to licensing and maintenance issues.

The listing for lxdm in /etc/init.d is most likely a startup script for your login manager. This will be a start|stop script and the actual lxdm binary resides elsewhere.

Just Joined!
    ya , I think your right about upstart
    because alot of the things in /etc/init.d/ on my system are symbolic links to /lib/init/upstart-job
    It would be cool if someone on this forum could explain more about upstart and how it works.

Regarding X - Xfree86 is the older project. Xorg was forked from the Xfree86 code due to licensing and maintenance issues.
    Got you on this X = xfree86 which was started in 1984 - 1987 (80's area) But Xorg was forked from xfree86 only in 2004/2005 ish so pretty recent.

Another question is how can I boot my linux os to a console screen with no graphics on boot up.
    Do I edit something in the /etc/init.d or add getty somewhere.
    Basically I just want to know how I can boot into my linux os with out the x11 system starting up.
    Is this something you specify in the grub menu.lst or something that is specified in some configuration file that init starts?
    Last edited by sam111; 11-19-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2