Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. Yet another Gnome 2 refugee. I am used to using the super key to bring up the main menu. I use this over a hundred times a day, sometimes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Show main menu with keyboard shortcut

Hi. Yet another Gnome 2 refugee. I am used to using the super key to bring up the main menu. I use this over a hundred times a day, sometimes way more. And when I used to do everyting with the mouse I got chronic RSI, so this is not an option. In any case, it is now the way I work. I was delighted when I finally found out how to set this option in ubuntu, and made the migration from Windows. Sayonara. I have experimented with Unity, Gnome 3, and their fallback versions, also with XFCE and KDE, and I can find no solution. I would be very grateful for help in resolving this problem as I don't want to go back to Windows. I really like so much about Linux, but as far as I am concerned Gnome is totally broken.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, you can install the latest Linux Mint 12, and still use Gnome 2.x instead of 3.x. Ubuntu doesn't give you that option...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that rubberman. I did try mint, but at present I am using debian with G2 and mint is no great advantage. My concern is for the future. I cannot seem to find any way of future proofing my use of linux. None of the desktops seem to support an applications menu one can modify which is accessible with a keyboard shortcut.

In windows a number of small apps are available to provide classic menu in Windows 7. I guess my last hope is that someone will provide an app of this nature.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

KB shortcuts to open start menu etc.

Quote Originally Posted by triplemaya View Post
    Thanks for that rubberman. I did try mint, but at present I am using debian with G2 and mint is no great advantage. My concern is for the future. I cannot seem to find any way of future proofing my use of linux. None of the desktops seem to support an applications menu one can modify which is accessible with a keyboard shortcut.

In windows a number of small apps are available to provide classic menu in Windows 7. I guess my last hope is that someone will provide an app of this nature.
    You're not alone. I'm hardcore windows user, passed 12 MS certifications and i know MANY shortcuts and run commands.
    I like to use those for gaining speed with using UI.

Problem with linuxes is that i loose my interest right away when i press Ctrl+Esc and nothing happens.

I just found few most important shortcuts which i edited, but could not find one to open main menu either.

This installation is Fedora 16 with KDE.

Just learning new shortcuts ain't too good idea, IMHO. Windows commands are like tattooed to my brains, learning new ones for everything causes just confusion. And makes using Linux unbelievably slow at the beginning.

- - ---edit--- - -

I just found a way to add kb shortcut to main menu.

1. right click start menu symbol
    2. move mouse over panel options
    3. choose panel settings
    4. move mouse over start menu symbol again (opens application launcher)
    5. click "configure" symbol in application launcher window (opens "application launcher settings" window)
    6. click Keyboard Shortcut and "none".
    7. choose key combination that you like to use. I prefer Ctrl-Esc.

Like i said, i use Fedora 16 with KDE so this might not work for other distribution / desktop combinations.

I guess today's Linux configuring sessions are now done after this post.. this took over hour from me. Argh!
    When writing this post while doing that kb shortcut assigning again, i mistakely pressed some unknown (to me) kb shortcut and i lost this page. I had to find correct forum page again and rewrite some.

I even registered to this forum because of this. Anyhow, i got something done. Next time, it's different "problems".

- - ---edit2--- - -

I tried Fedora 16 Gnome this time.

I installed it on Hyper-V virtual machine and in start up OS told that Gnome can not be started and fedora is in fail back mode. Still, it used same kb-shortcut to open start menu as it should use by the documentation.
    So, i wanted to change it to Ctrl-Esc too.

This time procedure was different.

1. Open "applications menu"
    2. Choose system tools
    3. Choose system settings
    4. Open "Keyboard" settings
    5. Choose "Shortcuts" tab
    6. Choose "System" shortcuts
    7. Choose "Show the activities overview" and change it's shortcut to what ever you like.

Windows+Esc as well as Ctrl+Esc work fine.

- - ---edit3--- - -

Aaaaarrrghh! It took more than half an hour to me to find out how to shutdown machine!
    I finally found an answer from there: (url removed because of forum rules)

So i finally got that virtual machine shut by command: "gnome-session-quit --power-off".
    And i'm sure that i don't remember it next time.

Of course i could have shut that VM down from Hyper-V console by clicking shutoff but that wouldn't be the same. OS should be possible to shut down easily, without any real effort.

At first i found other direction which asked some other guy who asked the same thing, adding capability to show shutdown instead suspend by installing some stuff with add remove programs or something. I followed directions and found place to add those things but couldn't still find any mark of anything related to shutdown anywhere.

I had enough again for a while. This userinterfaces that linux distros have still annoys me way too much. Obviously everybody who design this distro's are so in to Linux world that their logic about doing just about anything differs so much from others that they don't see outside of that bubble.

Big amount of common sense is needed. Ppl. shouldn't have to search answers to every obvious thing with search engines around the internet.

I'm out of here!
    Last edited by yurkie; 04-03-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: found a solution - stay at windows

Just Joined!
    Hi Yurkie

Thanks for all that, but it does not even solve the problem. KDE will not allow the super key on its own as a shortcut key. Nice clear instructions though!

Having looked at KDE again it is no good for me anyway. I am used to the Windows / G2 menu and the superb useability ie one key to get menu, then up or down arrow key to select one of my many often used apps, and then hit enter to fire it up. Simple. And now required as a minimum!

HOwever, I have yet to try gnome classic in ubuntu 12 which is reported as a huge improvement.