Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm trying to configure dual screen on my slitaz linux. I have connected s-video port on graphic card (old Nvidia Geforce MX440) with AV connector (yellow cinch) on LCD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Howto Xserver dual screen setup with LCD TV?

Hello, I'm trying to configure dual screen on my slitaz linux. I have connected s-video port on graphic card (old Nvidia Geforce MX440) with AV connector (yellow cinch) on LCD TV (32" LG32LD350). I want to have cloned screen on both, pc monitor and tv. How can I achieve this?

What I tried till now:
    If I try to turn on twinview in nvidia-settings, the image on TV is cloned, but image on TV is grayscale and is flickering - I didn't find any option to increase TV frequency, colors are set to 32Milion. I tried it two days ago and somehow the image was color, I don't know how to set it up again . So I'm sure, the cable is OK.
    I got same results, when I tried to set xorg.conf in either twinview or separate screen - screen is grayscale and flickering.

I tried to change almost avery option in config file without desired result, so I would be thankfull in any ideas.

This is my xorg. conf:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Screen 0 "Screen0"
    Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Philips"
    ModelName "107B"
    HorizSync 31.0 - 68.0
    VertRefresh 60.0 - 85.0
    Option "DPMS"
    # Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
    # DisplaySize 710 400
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # TV
    Identifier "Monitor1"
    ModelName "32LD350"
    VendorName "LG"
    VertRefresh 85
    # HorizSync 30-50
    # Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "GeForce4 MX 440"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen 0
    # Option "TwinView" "1"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    # device pre TV
    BoardName "GeForce4 MX 440"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Identifier "Videocard1"
    Screen 1
    VendorName "Nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    # Option "TwinView"
    Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
    Option "TVStandard" "PAL-A"
    # Option "Connected Monitor" "TV-0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    # Option "TwinView" "1"
    Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1024x768_85 +0+0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    # definicia screenu pre TV
    Identifier "Screen1"
    Device "Videocard1"
    Monitor "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth 24
    # Option "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    Option "metamodes" "TV: 1024x768_85 +0+0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You are using S-Video for this display? Does it have a DVI/HDMI or VGA port?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    thanx for reply,

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You are using S-Video for this display? Does it have a DVI/HDMI or VGA port?
    unfortunately no, it doesn't, because it is very old graphic card (maybe 10 years) and the only outputs are VGA for monitor and s-video for TV. I know, it'll be much easier with HDMI, but I don't want to buy anything to this veryveryold computer and I'm sure it's possible to do it with this stuff. I feel I'm very close to solve it

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok, so you are using the VGA for one screen and the S-Video for the other, correct?

Just Joined!
    Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by siginigin View Post
    Ok, so you are using the VGA for one screen and the S-Video for the other, correct?
    Yes, exactly.
    It is likely that your video card does not support dual screen operation other than sending the exact same stream to both ports. You need a card that is designed for dual screen operations, and in such a case it would have dual sets of ports. So, I think you are getting as good as it will get, but you won't be able to get a full twinview operation where you have either two completely different X windows, or an expanded virtual screen covering the two monitors. I have a more modern nVidia card that is configured for dual monitor support, so I have a true dual display set up where each screen has a different set of open windows, such as my Chrome web browser and Konqueror file browser open on one screen, and my system monitor and Windows VM on the other.

Just Joined!

s-video port

Hi

I am thinking that the s-video port is not so much for broadcasting but for recording? If it will broadcast also would you need something like a video editing application to use it? I do not know without looking further into it...
    If you are using a older AGP card and have a open pci slot AND if you want them enough to pay for shipping I will mail you two older video cards that were made for this kind of thing back in the day... These were added to the pci slots on the main board as a second video card so you could run a second monitor... These are old and made before dual cards were cheap and the norm. If I remembner they are limited in display resolution and perhaps color depth. I think they are based on the older first 3D now video chips like on a TNT card.

I am in St Petersburg, USA and if you want the cards you can email me at minister@childsparkchurch.com.. I do not know if they will help as far as the TV goes, but if you want them I am happy to send them.

I haven't ever configured it on an old Nvidia card, but it sounds to me like you need to switch the output standard from PAL to NTSC or vice versa (depending on what your TV accepts - in the USA it would be NTSC). Also, it makes a difference whether the output is S-Video or Composite. Practically all video cards use the S-Video port to also output composite via an adapter. Unless you're using this adapter, having that setting to "Composite" output will probably cause it to output grayscale even with the correct standard setting.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan