Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I am installing Scinetific Linux 6.0 and trying to use KDE. When I loaded all current updates, many old problems fixed, but new problem appeared: after move of a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sientific Linux 6.0, KDE, windows became vague

Hi.

I am installing Scinetific Linux 6.0 and trying to use KDE.
    When I loaded all current updates, many old problems fixed,
    but new problem appeared: after move of a window by mouse
    the window content became vague. This especially strongly
    affects xterm windows. Emacs is slightly affected too.
    This is as if a fog consisting of a small one-pixel points covers all the text in a window and some system elements of the window border. Interestingly, the text in window is instantly restored, if I resize a window by a mouse, even for tiny change of size. However some icons in emacs are not restored at resize and the work is not expected to convenient enough.

I am using new Samsing RF511 i7 with NVIDIA video card.
    Attempt to load the NVIDIA driver from their site has led to halt of a system at reboot. So I returned to inbuilt in SL "Noveau" free video driver and also some inter video driver.

Is there any way to cure this problem without changing an operating system? Some keyword in some config file? A command to refresh the windows? Anything else?

Thanks for any advice.
    Igor

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Does this happen with Gnome as well? What version of KDE are you running? SL 6.1 is running version 4.3.4 of KDE. Myself, I am running the Gnome UI.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Maybe it's a non-native resolution and the moved windows are no longer lining up with the pixels? Dithered, is taht the word?

Would love to see a screenshot.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
    Maybe it's a non-native resolution and the moved windows are no longer lining up with the pixels? Dithered, is taht the word?

Would love to see a screenshot.
    snapshot3.jpgsnapshot5.jpg
    Tring to aattach screenshots.

Just Joined!
    Oh, I thought it was just blurred but that's really corrupted. Looks like video driver stuff so I think you're on the write track.

Maybe the inxi scripts that deal with video drivers might help here. {I can't post URLs, so google for "inxi"}.

I've never had success with them but others seem to.

Just Joined!
    Thank you framermus,

I already changed the operating system, installing Scientific Linux 6.1.
    Now the windows are not get disoriented at moving, that is not get foggy.
    The other problems are not appear too, except some tolerable. This is good.
    I loaded some initial version. They do not include updates in their disks images after they are published.
    It looks like the updates are to be loaded from Internet.
    Should I expect that if I load the current updates from Internet, the fog will return?
    Because previously, initial SL 6.0 was without fog, but it became foggy exactly after the update.
    Users of Linux have life full of danger... and fog

Trusted Penguin
    You've discovered one of the sure fire ways to fix Linux problems - upgrade your system to the latest distro available.

Quote Originally Posted by vvvrrr
    Users of Linux have life full of danger...
    If that is the price to pay for having full control of my system, I say bring it on....

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, as some wise person once said, "sh!t happens!". I recently updated the kernel on 6.0 and the audio output sounded like an old radio with a lot of static. I reverted the default boot to the previous kernel, and the problem disappeared... This was for SL 6.0. I posted a question to the user message board/forum, but there has been no feedback as yet. I think I'm going to update to 6.1 to see if this problem goes away (adventurous, aren't I?)...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!