Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
It configures beatifully, after I fixed pkg-config. But when I go to make it I get errors. make[1]: *** [totem-video-thumbnailer] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src' make: *** [install-recursive] Error ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Totem trouble

It configures beatifully, after I fixed pkg-config. But when I go to make it I get errors.

make[1]: *** [totem-video-thumbnailer] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src'
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Has anyone else had this problem / know what to do?

any help would be nice.

Linux Guru
    That's not the actual error; that's just make telling you that an error occurred in a child process. If you look further up, you'll find the real error.

Just Joined!
    ok... well i didn't want to post the whole thing...

its some undefined reference errors.
    bacon-video-widget-xine.o(.text+0x126c): In function `bacon_video_widget_realize
    ':
    /home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/bacon-video-widget-xine.c:956: undefined
    reference to `gdk_display_get_default'
    bacon-video-widget-xine.o(.text+0x1274):/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/
    bacon-video-widget-xine.c:956: undefined reference to `gdk_display_get_name'
    bacon-video-widget-xine.o(.text+0x4597): In function `bacon_video_widget_ratio_f
    its_screen':
    /home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/bacon-video-widget-xine.c:2330: undefine
    d reference to `gdk_screen_get_default'
    bacon-video-widget-xine.o(.text+0x459f):/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/
    bacon-video-widget-xine.c:2330: undefined reference to `gdk_screen_get_monitor_a
    t_window'
    bacon-video-widget-xine.o(.text+0x45a:/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/
    bacon-video-widget-xine.c:2330: undefined reference to `gdk_screen_get_default'
    bacon-video-widget-xine.o(.text+0x45b0):/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/
    bacon-video-widget-xine.c:2330: undefined reference to `gdk_screen_get_monitor_g
    eometry'
    video-utils.o(.text+0x31e): In function `gdk_wmspec_change_state':
    /home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/video-utils.c:123: undefined reference t
    o `gdk_drawable_get_screen'
    video-utils.o(.text+0x326):/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/video-utils.c
    :123: undefined reference to `gdk_screen_get_display'
    video-utils.o(.text+0x355):/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/video-utils.c
    :134: undefined reference to `gdk_x11_get_xatom_by_name_for_display'
    video-utils.o(.text+0x37b):/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/video-utils.c
    :137: undefined reference to `gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display'
    video-utils.o(.text+0x38a):/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/video-utils.c
    :138: undefined reference to `gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display'
    video-utils.o(.text+0x3b4):/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/video-utils.c
    :140: undefined reference to `gdk_drawable_get_screen'
    video-utils.o(.text+0x3bc):/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src/video-utils.c
    :140: undefined reference to `gdk_screen_get_root_window'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [totem-video-thumbnailer] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/skyler/Documents/totem-0.99.0/src'
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    to me is seems like a lot to look at.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    It seems that it cannot link it agains libgdk properly. What was that about "fixind pkg-config" that you spoke about? Also, can you post the last gcc command that make tried to execute?

Just Joined!
    what i meant by fixind pkg-config was i copied the files over to the /usr/lib folder where pkg-config was looking for them. the files i moved point to /usr/local/lib. im new to linux and its the only way i could find to get it to work. as for that last command, im gunna have to get it later. im at work right now and i dont have access to the computer. also just so i know exactly what you mean... which gcc (gcc?) command?
    forgive the ignorance.

Linux Guru
    By the gcc command I mean the actual command that make tried to run, which produced all those errors. Just look for a line that begins with "gcc ". It will probably span over several lines since it's so long, but you will probably see where it ends, since it will be the only line that doesn't extend to the absolute end of the screen. You might have to scroll up a bit to find it.
    For reference, gcc is the GNU C Compiler (or GNU Compiler Collection as it's named these days).

By the way, what distro are you using?

Just Joined!
    mandrake is my distro.

gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -o totem-video-thumbnailer baconvideowidget-marshal.o bacon-video-widget-xine.o scrsaver.o video-utils.o totem-video-thumbnailer.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -pthread -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/local/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/local/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangox-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/local/lib/libxine.so -lXinerama /usr/lib/libfreetype.so -lz -lXv -lXext /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so /usr/lib/libpopt.so -lm /usr/lib/liblinc.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.so -lpthread /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so -lXtst -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
    i emailed the support for the program and he told me that it wasnt linking to libgdk right, but i am having trouble finding it file... i need libgdk-2.2

Linux Guru
    Ah, does it need GDK 2.2? Well, download it then? What distro are you using?

Just Joined!
    my distro is mandrake.

i dont know where to get gdk 2.2 from...

do you?

Linux Guru
    That's why I wanted to know your distro. Try this file. Install it with "rpm -Uhv filename", where filename is where you put the file.
    If you ever need anything more, try http://rpmfind.net/.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast