Find the answer to your Linux question:
I upgraded to Fedora 16 and went from GNOME to KDE 4. Now I cannot change the icons on the items on my desktop. I get the message that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I can't change the icons on my desktop

I upgraded to Fedora 16 and went from GNOME to KDE 4. Now I cannot change the icons on the items on my desktop. I get the message that I do not have permission to change it. I am the owner of the file, the permissions are 777, I am the owner of the parent directory. Its permissions are also 777. I have looked and the files which are links to other places are actually text files. If I open one of these with gedit, I can change the icon file name and location and save the file. I can do that. If I do that, the icon is changed. I think it is a KDE problem and I have opened a thread there but have not had much luck getting it fixed. I can't believe I am the only one having this problem. If you read this, please try to change an icon and post the results - worked/failed, distro/version, gui/version.
    Thanks in advance.

Here is a screenshot of the error:

PlasmaFailure1.jpg

KDE-4 doesn't use "Icons on the desktop" quiet like it used to sinc KDE-3.5
    Now, you can create a "folder view" by right clicking the desktop....then you can add icons to the folder you just created. Sorry I can't be more helpful right now. I'm not on my machine at the moment.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I understand that KDE 4 does things a little different. I had a lot of things on my desktop that I referenced a lot. I found an activity that showed what I had on my old desktop. That is what I am looking at and using. That is what I want to change the icons for. What is preventing me from changing them? Have you tried changing them? What happens?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close