Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone, Do any of you guys know whether it is possible for a Redhat Linux workstation to connect to a X11Server on the Internet. The workstation is running GNOME ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat + X11

Hello everyone,
    Do any of you guys know whether it is possible for a Redhat Linux workstation to connect to a X11Server on the Internet. The workstation is running GNOME itself. When I use MS Windows I use XWin32 to connect to that server.
    Any comment/help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Cap'n Picard

Just Joined!

a minor note

The XServer is running Sun Solaris 5.6

Linux Guru
    Why naturally, of course it's possible. You might have to either merge your xauth info on the app server, though, or turn off X security completely with "xhost +"

Just Joined!

No access to server

I cant to much on the server side since it is my University server. What can I do on the client that will let me do this ?

Linux Guru
    I didn't really understand your setup in the first place. Remember that the X server is the computer actually displaying the graphics.
    Would I be understanding you correctly if it is so that your university server runs Solaris, and from it, you want to run programs that display their windows on your RedHat machine at home?

Just Joined!
    I'll butt into this conversation with a similar situation. The server at my school runs RH7.3. I have a Win98 machine at home that I use to ssh into the school server. I'd like to be able to use an xterm through ssh, but I keep getting errors like "can't open display." Is this a permissions or config problem?

Linux Guru
    Hyundai, how could you possibly use an xterm without an X server?

Just Joined!
    I am not entirely sure... I was thinking that I could run programs on the school's server, and view the "screen" through ssh at my home computer.

Linux Guru
    SSH only routes through X requests. You'll still need an X server to actually do something with those requests, though. There are a couple of more or less commercial X servers for Windows. I recommend X-Win32.

Just Joined!

yes you are right

Hi Dolda,
    Yes you are right about the setup. I want the windows that the Solaris server generates to appear on my RedHat box as normal windows. Is that possible?
    Basically I want it to be like it was on my windows box when I was running X-Win32.
    Thanks for all the help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast