Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need help on this subjest i have looked everywhere i can think of and no one has given an complete understanding/way to install a tar.bz2 in linux. Can someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

need help on How to install tar.bz2

I need help on this subjest i have looked everywhere i can think of and no one has given an complete understanding/way to install a tar.bz2 in linux. Can someone please make an easy to understand and thorough tutorial and or instructions on how to install this in any version of linux. thank you so much!!!!

p.s. please do not say things like its easy and all that jazz because it is not easy at all.

Hello and Welcome!

Take a look here. Specifically, post #2.
    That should help you get going, although every piece of software will be slightly different.
    There should be a README or INSTALL file included with the software when you unpack it, so make sure to read through that, as well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

tar.bz2 / tar.gz usually contain sourcecode.
    It needs to be configured, compiled and linked.
    So yes, you need at least some understanding, how development works.

Compiling software is the most versatile and powerful method of forming your system to your needs.
    However, for most people it is advised to use pre-built packages, that are available via your package manager.
    You do not need to know about development and it takes just seconds to install a nerw application.

What application are you trying to install and what linux distribution do you use?

Also, this might help:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

I am using linux mint LXDE at this time, I also use linux mint 12 kde and ubuntu, this is the reason i wanted to understand a method that works not matter the linux version, I now understand that no matter what some steps may vary depending what version you are using. this is still good to me bacause i am not worried about messing up installs as i am working in a virtual enviroment, for the sole purpose of learning linux as much as i can.

Those versions of Mint are heavily Ubuntu-based, so what you learn in one will translate to the others without any issues.
    Also, compiling from source is almost identical from distro to distro, since it's done using standardized commands.
    I've installed .bz and .bz2 on Fedora, Ubuntu, Slackware and others by using the same methods.

*Hint*
    Bookmark that page. I still reference it from time to time.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.