Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, Is it possible for me to install VNC on my windows(client) and Linux machine(Server).......as in Install it on my RedHat9.2, and on my WinXP machine so that I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

VNC for Windows and Linux RedHat 9.2

hi,

Is it possible for me to install VNC on my windows(client) and Linux machine(Server).......as in Install it on my RedHat9.2, and on my WinXP machine so that I can do all I want to do from either of the two.......from my XP.

If its possible kindly provide me a weblink that will be compatible for my RedHat Linux installation and Win XP....

thanks
    Tokunbo

Linux Guru
    http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

There are both Windows and Linux packages available. I've used both. They work great.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    thanks Jeremy,

ive downloaded the following files:
    vnc-4.0-1.i386.rpm,
    vnc-4.0-1.nosrc.rpm,
    vnc-4.0-x86_win32.zip,
    vnc-4.0-x86_linux.tar.gz

I belive the (.zip) is for my windows machine. Pls which of the remaining three do I use (install on) for my linux machine.

WOuld the linux installation need some special configurations....pls help
    thanks
    Tokunbo

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

There are both Windows and Linux packages available. I've used both. They work great.

Jeremy

Linux Guru
    The zip is (I think) just a zipped version of the Windows exe. Install it as you would any program in windows. As for linux, since you're using Redhat/Fedora, I would stick the RPM as that's an rpm based distro. After you install it, you have to setup the server and viewer on both Linux and Windows.

Jeremy

Linux Newbie
    hi,

thanks, Ive gotten it to work already.

The problem(I dont know if its a problem) is that when I connect to my Linux through Windows, what I see on my XP is not the actual desktop I have on my linux....its like its another session...............as in I dont get the gnome desktop(on my windows machine) which is a default on my linux machine.

ex: I have another windows machine which I connect to and I can see the actual desktop on that other windows machine on my XP viewer. From the first XP, I can see the shortcuts, startmenu etc on the other PC, but on my linux, I just see a colored background, and at the middle is the terminal..no start menu, no shortcuts etc..... is there a way to change this default....as in so that I can see the gnome desktop on my windows machine connection......or is this the way VNC works on Linux?

I hope this is clear.
    Tokunbo

Linux Guru
    This is the default way that Linxu is setup. You need to edit your users (the user you connect as) .vnc config file (it's ~/.vnc/xstartup). Change the line that says twm to kde or gnome (which ever you prefer to use).

Jeremy

Linux Newbie
    hi Jeremy,

thanks for the help, but theres no change to the display on my windows machine.

my xtstartup file lookes like this:

#!/bin/sh

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    twm &

then I changed twm to 'gnome'

#!/bin/sh

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    gnome &

then I restarted vncserver and logged in thru my XP, but the display is still like that of yesterday. I even rebooted my pc to see if the change takes effect, but it didnt.
    Or do I need to add something to xstartup?

pls note: I did the above as root.

Tokunbo

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    This is the default way that Linxu is setup. You need to edit your users (the user you connect as) .vnc config file (it's ~/.vnc/xstartup). Change the line that says twm to kde or gnome (which ever you prefer to use).

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    I am having the same issue (connecting to vncserver on linux from a windows machine). And I get the same single-color background with only TWM running and an Xterm window.

I follwed the directions in the tutorial found elsewhere on the forum and set the xstartup for both root and the primary user account I use to the following (inaddition to what was already there):

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    gnome-session --sm-disable
    gnome-session

But there is absolutely no change in the display, even after re-booting the server and starting vncserver again.

Linux Newbie
    pls can you post the link where you found the "tutorial' you mentioned below.

toks

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Rat
    I am having the same issue (connecting to vncserver on linux from a windows machine). And I get the same single-color background with only TWM running and an Xterm window.

I follwed the directions in the tutorial found elsewhere on the forum and set the xstartup for both root and the primary user account I use to the following (inaddition to what was already there):

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    gnome-session

But there is absolutely no change in the display, even after re-booting the server and starting vncserver again.

Linux Newbie
    hi Steel,

dont bother about the link...I found it and I also followed the tutorial....I replaced

twn &

with

gnome-session

and was able to see my gnome screen on my windows PC.

Pls, to anyone who can help:
    1. My windows monitor is 15"(Compaq presario 2500) and that of Linux is 14"(desktop)....The Linux VNC display on my windows monitor is bigger...as in I have to scroll down(on windows PC) to see the taskbar...

how do I adjust/what dimensions should I use in my /.vnc/xstartup file

2.Eventhough my Linux PC screen is visible on my windows laptop, pls note that its not real-time, as in if vnc was used windows to windows.....as in an already open terminal on my linux machine doesnt appear on my windows vnc.... what I can see on my windows PC is a plain desktop...meanwhile I have a terminal and a webpage open on my linux PC.

thanks
    TOks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast