Find the answer to your Linux question:
I turned on a global hotkey for 2 programs, Audacious and VLC. The global hotkey is Pause bound to "Play/Pause." If I start Audacious and VLC (in this order), then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question gobal hotkeys are lost with 2 programs

I turned on a global hotkey for 2 programs, Audacious and VLC. The global hotkey is Pause bound to "Play/Pause." If I start Audacious and VLC (in this order), then only Audacious reacts to the global hotkey. This is okay. If I terminate Audacious, VLC does not react to the global hotkey until restarted.

• Can I change this behavior? The ideal solution would be to reroute global hotkeys without restarting GUI processes.
    • What program exactly is responsible for this behavior? The Xorg server?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry for the delay in replying to this. What happens if you click on the VLC window, and then press the defined "Pause" key? Does that instance get the message?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Nothing happens.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, I tried changing my keyboard shortcut preference for media Pause, and nothing happens on my system (RHEL 6 clone, Scientific Linux)... Sorry, but I don't know what else to tell you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I bind keys with the file
    $HOME/.Xmodmap
    keycode 127 = XF86AudioPlay
    If "xmodmap" does not read it by default, "xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap". Also global hotkeys may be disabled in preferences of Audacious and other programs that receive keys.

I do this because I don't have a multimedia keyboard. I guess that it does not matter which key is bound to "Play/Pause".