Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi You now, a lot of distros still use gnome2...so there MUST be a way to install or compile it,don't you think? The gnome-panel of Ubuntu and Gnome-session-fallback of Gnome ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there a way to install Gnome 2?

Hi
    You now, a lot of distros still use gnome2...so there MUST be a way to install or compile it,don't you think?

The gnome-panel of Ubuntu and Gnome-session-fallback of Gnome 3 LOOK LIKE GNOME 2, but DOESN'T FEEL LIKE the official and unique GNOME 2. They are not gnome2.

So...is there an official way to install gnome2? the official one? the gnome2 that existed before gnome 3?

I think what will satisfy your craving for the standard Gnome2 DE is now called MATE, which is a fork of the gnome 2 code. As it's a fork, you can install it alongside the Gnome3 system that comes with your new distribution. I've no experience of installing this in Ubuntu. When I used this on Fedora, I had to add the MATE repositories to my system. There are some instructions for getting it going if you follow the 'install' link from the project's home page, though.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Check Linux Mint. Mate is default DE in one of its edition.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiraishin View Post
    So...is there an official way to install gnome2? the official one? the gnome2 that existed before gnome 3?
    Since the official Gnome2 is no longer developed, you'd run into nothing but problems with it even if you were able to find the packages themselves because so much has changed with Linux recently. For that reason, I'd recommend going with the alternative (MATE) as recommended by the others above, or that you put more effort into getting comfortable with Gnome 3.

Hope you are able to find something that you like and it works well for you...
    oz