Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I am a newbe to linux and want some help setting this up. I want to have a remote connection to my server. Running Ubuntu 12.04 with gui. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remote desktop from MacOsX

Hi!

I am a newbe to linux and want some help setting this up.

I want to have a remote connection to my server. Running Ubuntu 12.04 with gui. I have two x sessions running.
    X session 1 is the Ubuntu desktop
    X session 2 is xbmc

I want to control the Ubuntu desktop via remote desktop while i have Xbmc on the servers screen. In this case the screen is an projector.

I have tried xrdp on the server and Apple remote desktop on the client. Vnc on the server and chicken vnc client on the Mac.

My results are this with both types of connection.
    I am in tty7 , my desktop. Everything works great. I have my servers desktop on my mac.
    I start x session two and its at tty8, xbmc. If I switch to tty8 my remote connection dosent update ny screen. I have a moving cursor and a working keyboard but nothing is shoving when i type or click. But if I switch back to tty7 i see everything I typed or clicked.

It dosent matter which session is the desktop or which session is xbmc. Only that I have remote desktop to the ubuntu desktop.

Someone that can help me with this?

Hello and Welcome!

I'm not really familiar with OSX, but I'm pretty sure that there is a VNC application available that would suit your needs.
    VNC is cross platform, so you should be able to find proper OSX documentation for it.

BTW... others may chime in with more detailed tips.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.