Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! First of, I would like to say that I'm pleased to participate in this forum for the first time Secondly, I don't have a very good english, if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Screen resolutions change when using the touchpad

Hello everyone!
    First of, I would like to say that I'm pleased to participate in this forum for the first time

Secondly, I don't have a very good english, if that's a problem for your understanding, let me know!

Thirdly: my problem!
    I'm running Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bits in a Dell Vostro 3550 notebook. Everything is OK, except...
    It seems that when I use the touchpad, my screen resolutions get changed.

• When using only one monitor (the laptop itself), on touching the touchpad, the screen very quickly flashes. It has just reconfigured itself to the same resolution, but its annoying and crashes some things I'm doing :P
    • When using two monitors (the laptop + an external one), both flash and they may get mirrored with same resolution, other times just the positioning is inverted, other times also one of the screens is disabled.
    • I've googled around and found that Synaptics Touchpads gets interference from some types of lamps (fluorescent, for example); this also causes an "touch" in the touchpad.
    • When using only one monitor, with an external mouse and without using the touchpad, I haven't noticed this problem yet.

Thank you in advance. I hope get some help here, its giving me headaches!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What video hardware is this running - integrated Intel graphics, nVidia, or AMD? Also, are you using the default driver that installed with the system, or did you install new video driver software?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Its an AMD Radeon 6630M, running with the Catalyst driver 12.4.
    I've tried to update to Catalyst 12.8, but it made Cinnamon not even start.

Just Joined!
    Any further help?
    As a developer, stay on Windows is a shame! The things for us just don't work as they do in Linux.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry. Never have seen this problem before. At this point I'd say that if you can, change the video hardware. FWIW, nVidia and Intel video hardware seems to work best with Linux. AMD is playing catch-up, but there are still serious issues with their hardware, from what I have heard. I run nVidia gear, and it works great with the nVidia-provided drivers (proprietary). I have a number of different systems (workstation and laptops) that use nVidia gear, and no problems with any of them, including my work Lenovo laptop with dual Intel and nVidia gear (though I disable the Intel gear in the bios - works better for Linux).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Well, nevermind. I have already fully migrated to Windows again. Its a really shame, but what can I do...
    BTW, I have installed Ubuntu 11.10 after the update to Catalyst 12.8 screw up with X. I was using an external mouse, and when I firstly used the touchpad, the system has bugged out and it not even started again. So much problems! Giving up from Linux for now.

If anyone knows a fix, let me know, I'll be willing to get back to any Linux distro.
    Thanks!