Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want lxterminal & openbox. Both are installed. When I edit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and add lxterminal and exec openbox it can't be properly processed. bpaste . net/show/54001 bpaste . net/show/54002...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unmerged (removed) xterm. Xorg does not startx. How to replace xterm?

I want lxterminal & openbox. Both are installed. When I edit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    and add lxterminal and exec openbox it can't be properly processed.
    bpaste . net/show/54001
    bpaste . net/show/54002

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

I would not edit those files if I were you. Restore them to their original versions if you can. Instead, create an X start-up script in your home directory, call it: ~/.xsession and in it put:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    lxterminal & 
    exec openbox
    make it executable, then restart your login manager (gdm, etc.). or if you are starting X from text mode / run level 3, then make a file called ~/.xinitrc with the same contents. in fact, you can make .xinitrc a symlink to the .xsession file.

next time you log in, it should start openbox. if not, check the file ~/.xsession-errors for errors.

Just Joined!
    Works! You're so helpful.
    It appears that without home file .xinitrc (whether it is chmod +x) - startx does not work. In case of absence it gives no black screen. But with openbox & lxterminal inside .xinitrc file - there is a black screen. If .xinitrc is executable-attributed then you need one click of a mouse to make lxterminal window appear. If .xinitrc isn't executable, after startx from command line - lxterminal simply launches in the middle of black screen.
    bpaste . net/show/540056

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by xcislav View Post
    It appears that without home file .xinitrc (whether it is chmod +x) - startx does not work. In case of absence it gives no black screen. But with openbox & lxterminal inside .xinitrc file - there is a black screen. If .xinitrc is executable-attributed then you need one click of a mouse to make lxterminal window appear. If .xinitrc isn't executable, after startx from command line - lxterminal simply launches in the middle of black screen.
    So...is it working properly? I wasn't quite sure from what you've described.

bpaste . net/show/540056
    I cannot open this link, seems bad:

http://bpaste.net/show/540056/