Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Lubuntu 12.10, Intel HD 3000 with the default driver from the repos. I bought and downloaded Amnesia: Dark Descent from the Ubuntu Software Center. I have tried the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X and Flickering 3D Graphics

I'm running Lubuntu 12.10, Intel HD 3000 with the default driver from the repos.

I bought and downloaded Amnesia: Dark Descent from the Ubuntu Software Center.

I have tried the demo on Windows 7 previously on the same computer, and didn't see this problem, so it shouldn't be a hardware issue.

And I haven't experienced this issue in any other 3D games.

Anyways, I started it up, and the first thing I noticed was flickering graphics. I've messed with all the settings, and no change. I got an idea that maybe something weird was going on between my DE/WM (LXDE/Openbox) and Amnesia, so on a whim, I changed shells (is that the correct term?) by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1, and started an x server from there for Amnesia (xinit /opt/amnesia/Amnesia.bin64 $* -- :1). (same results below using startx instead of xinit)
    It started up nice, and as soon as I got to the menu, the graphics were not flickering like before! But, it's not using my Intel driver, something called "gallium 0.4" or something. So, it's essentially unplayable, ie: really slow, running my cpu really hard. Any advice on getting Xorg to use my driver?

Thanks for any responses.
    Last edited by dabbertorres; 11-05-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Hi and Welcome !

Check Hardware Drivers option in Menu. Does it recommend any driver installation?

Post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, if there is any.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks!

No, there is no recommendation.

I do not have an xorg.conf, I had looked into that, and it looks like I may need to create a new one, but I'm not quite sure how to go about that without screwing up something else.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I read a review of Ubuntu 12.10 in Linux Format magazine this month which mentioned the same problem with 3D graphics (although on nvidia with both open and proprietary drivers) so it may be a bug in the release.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Oh, interesting. Dang. I knew I should've waiting another week or so before upgrading. It would make sense though. Thanks for the info.

Still find it odd though it's just Amnesia. Well, it may be the much higher use of lighting and shadows than most other games.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    They did have issues even on the desktop - but that was the full on Unity so maybe it's as intensive as Amnesia

I don't use Ubuntu these days but when I did I learned to wait a couple of weeks after release for a lot of fixes to hit the repos!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Crazy stuff!

Ya, I'll be doing that for as long as I stick with an Ubuntu derivative. I've been looking at switching back to Crunchbang or another Debian, we'll see!

So, is there no way to have xinit call my graphics driver for use? That hasn't been answered, so that's what I'm assuming.