Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old netbook (with a busted battery) which I want to use as a secondary screen (dual monitor setup) with my primary Desktop computer over the LAN. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Use network computer as secondary monitor ?

I have an old netbook (with a busted battery) which I want to use as a secondary screen (dual monitor setup) with my primary Desktop computer over the LAN. I'm looking for a way in which my virtual work space on the Desktop would be displayed on this netbook.

I've tried my luck with Google but haven't found the solution. I think that it can be done (an assumption loosely based on the awesomeness of Linux and some discussions I read).

Both my machines run on Debain based distros. The Desktop is connected to the network over a CAT5 cable and laptop by WiFi.

Thank you for reading. Suggestions and help is appreciated.

Check out Synergy, it might be what you are looking for:
    Synergy

Just Joined!
    Synergy is different ... it would just help me share the keyboard and mouse with different machines over the network .... both the machines will run independently. What I want to do is be able to use the secondary screen (in my case the netbook) as a 2nd monitor to my desktop such that the 2nd work space of my desktop is displayed on it (so that i can transfer windows from one screen to another).

What I want to setup is close to doing a screen share from my desktop to netbook with only a particular work space and that work space should be visible even when it is not the active workspace.(Very much like using a dual monitor setup through the graphic card). But Im searching for a way to do so over the network.