Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am dual booting WinXP and RH9, RH installed fine, and will load to text login, but when I startX the monitor immediatly goes to sleep, I have a HP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Monitor appears to go to sleep when X is started

I am dual booting WinXP and RH9, RH installed fine, and will load to text login, but when I startX the monitor immediatly goes to sleep,

I have a HP ultra VGA 1280, ATI radeon 7200,

The OS loads fine (no appearent errors), And I reinstalled using the GUI just to see if it would work, and it does, I did get a warning during install about the partitioning, but it said it was safe to ignore, so I dont think that is the issue.

I cant seem to find the right command to re-run the Xconfig, i found the XF86config file, but i cant find the xf86setup. Can someone pls point me in some kinda direction?

Pls keep in mind that im kinda new to linux...

Just Joined!

same

BTW i tried to run redhat-xfree86-config, and the same thing happens, the monitor goes to sleep, I forgot to put that in the 1st post

Linux Guru
    Could it be that you're using a resolution that your monitor can't handle? Try adjusting the resolution with Ctrl+Alt+NumpadPlus and Ctrl+Alt+NumpadMinus.

Just Joined!

resolution 800 x 600

Nope, i set to 800 x 600, and the monitor handles well over that in windows, and I dont know if it makes a difference, but the install GUI works fine. I really need some way to play with the configuration so i can test, but i can not find anything that works, The PC im on right now is a 633 celeron w/ 256 mb ram, (its an old Emachine) with on board intel graphics, and a 15' gateway ev500 and the res is set to 1024x768 works great, i just dont understand why its not working on my good PC. ??

Linux Guru
    It could be that it's using wrong video card drivers. What video card do you have and what driver did you use?
    Also, when your monitor is sleeping, can you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a text mode terminal?

Just Joined!

video card

OK hers what i got, this is a dual monitor system, 1st card (primary in windows) ATI radeon 7200 (this is the one going to sleep) 2nd nvidia tnt2 model pro64, im not that concered with it, id like to have dual monitors in linux but i just want 1 to work 1st,

the monitor is a HP ultra VGA 1280

i dont know how to tell which drive i used, I picked my card in the origanal x-config from the install, and i picked my monitor, all seemed fine, I tried the ctrl-alt- (+, -) no effect.

tried the ctrl-alt-F1, had no effect either, i have to ctrl-alt-del out of it everytime,

Linux Guru
    OK, boot your system in runlevel 3. The process of doing it is different depending on your boot loader:
    If you're using LILO: Press Ctrl+X to get to text mode (if you aren't already), then type "linux 3", and run it with enter. You need to replace linux with your actual configuration entry, but most distributions name it "linux". Press TAB to see a list of all entries.
    If you're using GRUB: Select the menu entry that you normally use. Press e to edit the boot commands, go to the kernel line, press e to edit it, add a space and a "3" to the end of the line, then press enter to save the changes, and then press b to boot it.

Then, when your system is ready, log in and run "grep -i driver /etc/X11/XF86Config". Post here what it returns.

Just Joined!

as requeted

[root@localhost root]# grep -i drive /etc/X11/XF86Config
    Driver "keyboard"
    Driver "mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Driver "radeon"

Thats what I get when I do that, Im using Grub, hope this helps.

thanks for the help BTW

Linux Guru
    Strange... the "radeon" driver isn't part of the standard XFree86 distro. Does RH9 include extra drivers? I don't have it, and I'm using RH8. Anyhow, try editing /etc/X11/XF86Config, and replace the radeon driver with the vesa driver instead.

Just Joined!

can i get a quick how to

can you give me a quick run down on how to do that? I have tried to find the command to re-run the X-config, but have had no success. all my other setup/config commands work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast