Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I have been playing with the idea of making my own DE distro for a little while. but well the simple problem is that i dont know how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Desktop enviroment Developing how and what?

Hello.

I have been playing with the idea of making my own DE distro for a little while. but well the simple problem is that i dont know how to go about it and is looking for tip's.
    anyone know of any site or videos that show off the basics that you need to develop a DE. and witch programming language is the most suiting for the situation?

/MrZwing

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello, and welcome aboard!

Linux desktop environments are open source for the most part, so you can look at their source code to see how others have done it. In fact, you can in most cases fork that code to produce your own desktop environment as long as you adhere to the stipulations of any licenses involved.
    oz

thank you for having me haha

ok is it possible to use for example Python as language? i have been newbie fiddeling with java, c++ ,python to fins witch one i like and python is a bit more my style.
    read that some use QT-designer for some GUI or is it mainly for application-dev?
    I just recently gotten into Linux seriously it is growing on due to how efficient and awzume it is. only reson i keep using windows is gaming but i rely hope steam change that trend.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZwing View Post
    thank you for having me haha

ok is it possible to use for example Python as language? i have been newbie fiddeling with java, c++ ,python to fins witch one i like and python is a bit more my style.
    It would be possible, but most are written in C or C++.

You can check the following links to see what language various Linux desktop environments and window managers were written with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...p_environments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...indow_managers

The source code should be available for download on most of those for your detailed inspection.

Qtile is one window manager that was written in Python:

http://www.qtile.org/
    oz

well C/C++ are more common and it is a powerfull lanuage si i could dipp into it and try it more in deptht then i have.
    ill take a look at the link's you've given me and we will see if i get a hang of it or if ill end up smearing strawberry jam on the walls and scream at a plastik pellican who taunt's me for my failures.
    and thank you.