Find the answer to your Linux question:
Folks, I am running Ubuntu 12.04 minimal plus openbox. Earlier, I was using nVidia card. The card supported HDMI output (for my projector) and a VGA output (for my monitor). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to run multiple xscreens with Intel GPU?

Folks,

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 minimal plus openbox.

Earlier, I was using nVidia card. The card supported HDMI output (for my projector) and a VGA output (for my monitor). Application nvidia-settings would let me run two x-servers for two different displays. I would run VLC on the projector display (DISPLAY=0.1) and do other things on my monitor display while watching the movie.

I now have a new box with a better motherboard that had on-board Intel graphics and I don't need nVidia card anymore.

xrandr -q shows that I have a VGA output and a HDMI3 output.

I am able to use xrandr to set the resolutions for each of the displays. I am also able to place one display on the side of the other.

However, I would like to set it up such that I can have two different x servers as before.

I don't have any xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 directory. As I understand, xorg.conf is no longer needed and that I should be able to use xrandr to achieve pretty much what I wish to achieve. However, I don't understand how I can set VGA display to one xscreen and HDMI3 display to another xscreen.

I would appreciate it if someone can help me understand how I can achieve this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Peter

Just Joined!
    You didn't specify which Nvidia card you were using, you didn't specify MB model or what graphics chip the MB has but in my opinion, you are better off using a dedicated video card than on-board graphics anyway and I don't like sharing my ram with the on-board graphics also. Just my op.

Just Joined!
    The card or MB I used in the past is irrelevant.

Regards,
    Peter

Just Joined!
    The MB you are using NOW is very relevant, thats the one I was asking about, I wasn't even asking about the old MB, your right, that is irrelevant, and the Nvidia card you were using is also very relevant, not knowing how old it is, what kind it is, information is all relevant when asking for help. I've seen MB's with VGA, HDMI and DVI all on the back of the board, but you could only use 1 at a time, not together. So, without knowing what board it is, kinda hard to help with that.

Just Joined!
    Here is more information:

The MB is Gigabyte Z77N-Wifi. This is a Z77 chipset based MB.
    The CPU is ivybridge based and is running HD 2500 GPU.

As I mentioned earlier, xwindows is able to use both HDMI and DVI-D/VGA connection simultaneously. Just that it runs as one big xscreen by default. I need two xscreens. My feeling is that this is an xorg.conf configuration issue on how to run two xscreens.

Regards,
    Peter