Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys! i have started to learn more about linux a few weeks ago, as you can see in the coffee lounge. after the successful installation of archlinux on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which desktop environment / window manager?

hey guys!

i have started to learn more about linux a few weeks ago, as you can see in the coffee lounge.

after the successful installation of archlinux on my lenovo notebook, i worked a lot in the shell, because i don't even installed the x system.

but now, i would like to have a graphical user interface for more productivity.

my question is now: which one? gnome? kde? xfce? cinnamon?

because i'm a mac-user, i would like to use some things from the OSX in linux and i am confident that this can be realized with linux. here are my points that i will have on the user interface:

unique design
    i would like that each window looks the same - same color and so on (not like windows - evernote is green, word is blue, explorer is white, etc.).

notifications
    i would like to get notifications (mails, tweets, finished downloads, etc. on one place on my desktop.

backup
    i will backup my hole linux installation to an external hard disk drive. is there a backup software like "time machine" on osx?

fullscreen apps (if possible)
    i use this osx-feature day by day - is it available on linux?

preview
    on a mac, i can click any file, press "space" and see the content of the file. is this also possible on linux?

twitter integration
    share to twitter with one click

global menu
    the menu with "file", "edit", etc. is always on top on a mac. i need this on linux too.

can you help me to find the right desktop environment and window manager on my archlinux?

many thanks so far!

alex

unity

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurgy View Post
    hey guys!

i have started to learn more about linux a few weeks ago, as you can see in the coffee lounge.

after the successful installation of archlinux on my lenovo notebook, i worked a lot in the shell, because i don't even installed the x system.

because i'm a mac-user, i would like to use some things from the OSX in linux and i am confident that this can be realized with linux. here are my points that i will have on the user interface:

unique design
    i would like that each window looks the same - same color and so on (not like windows - evernote is green, word is blue, explorer is white, etc.).

notifications
    i would like to get notifications (mails, tweets, finished downloads, etc. on one place on my desktop.

backup
    i will backup my hole linux installation to an external hard disk drive. is there a backup software like "time machine" on osx?

preview
    on a mac, i can click any file, press "space" and see the content of the file. is this also possible on linux?

twitter integration

global menu
    the menu with "file", "edit", etc. is always on top on a mac. i need this on linux too.

can you help me to find the right desktop environment and window manager on my archlinux?

many thanks so far!

alex
    Hi Alex

The unity desktop is like mac os with the menu bar always on top. window manager compiz is great eye candy and installing cairo-dock at the bottom is much like the one in mac; in fact it has a mac theme available even with the icons you are familiar with.

fen

Just Joined!
    Hi there. Fellow Archer here would like to say welcome to linux.

I agree with fenario that Unity will likely feel the most like OSX, is highly polished, and actively developed. You might like Gnome too (install them both, what the heck). KDE, Cinnamon, and Xfce are more like Windows (Xfce is my personal favourite in you list, but I like lighter more minimal DEs).

I wish I could comment further on how you can meet your requirements with linux, but I'm sure that most of what you do with OSX can be done in linux.

Notifications: I don't use notifications so I can't help much here. Gnome and Unity probably have it built in.

Backup: Back in Time might work for backups. I personally use rsync and/or unison depending on circumstance.

Fullscreen: Definitely available in most DEs. Try just hitting F11 (at least this works in some DEs, if not, Google will tell you)

Preview: Apparently Unity has this too Say Hello To Unity's Newest Feature: Previews | OMG! Ubuntu!

Global menu: Unity definitely has this. I haven't used Gnome in a while but I think it does too. KDE and XFCE are more like Windows with the iconified windows in a panel at the bottom.

Conclusion: I'd say just go ahead and install Unity and Gnome and spend a couple hours playing with both of them. Once you've decided, just remove the one you liked least by doing (e.g. remove gnome)

pacman -Rsn gnome

Have fun. For me, playing with DEs is one of my favourite things about linux.

Edit: For backup there is an app called Flyback that is a clone of Time Machine. It's in the AUR. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/flyback/

Also, I'd suggest installing yaourt or aurget to simplify the installation of AUR packages. It looks like Unity is in the AUR too.

Just Joined!

backing up Linux (or anything else)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurgy View Post
    hey guys!

unique design

notifications

backup

preview

twitter integration

global menu

many thanks so far!

alex
    I have used a boot CD with G4L on it to clone my entire disk with dual boot Linux Mint 9 (Isadora) and Win XP (which I rarely use). After cloning, I installed the backup disk and everything works perfectly when booting from that disk. It is an exact duplicate. Clonezilla couldn't do that. I tried it first. The G4L download is at SourceForge. (LinuxForums won't let me post the link).
    Bob

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you want to try Unity out try an Ubuntu live environment and then there is this wiki for installing it on Arch
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!