Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone used this? I'm running XFCE on Arch on an I5 with 8GB and I'd like just a little more bling without too much weight. Compiz seems to be done ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gala Compositor

Anyone used this? I'm running XFCE on Arch on an I5 with 8GB and I'd like just a little more bling without too much weight. Compiz seems to be done except for Ubuntu. Besides, that's a lot more bling. Gala is fairly new and looks like it might fit the bill. Any opinions?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've never heard of it. It looks interesting so I may have to see if I can build and use it on a VM before I try it on a real box!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I've never heard of it. It looks interesting so I may have to see if I can build and use it on a VM before I try it on a real box!
    Right now I'm running badblocks -w on my new 1TB backup drive. It's been running since last Saturday. When that finishes or I give up on it ever finishing, I'll probably back everything up and give it a shot. I had a weird problem with mkinitcpio that caused me to have to restore from backup many times before I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled. So, I'm used to it.

I'm not finding a lot of info on Gala though other than the "it's cool" or "don't bother" comments. No specifics about problems encountered etc.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I know what you mean, hence the VM instead of my real iron. Maybe I'll get a chance soon; it's made my to do list.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent