Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ive got myself a radeon 9800 pro (wooo, it was free. ). problem is (and we all know it) atis linux drivers are ****. so im running unaccelerated, and doom3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ATi accleration under X11

ive got myself a radeon 9800 pro (wooo, it was free. ).

problem is (and we all know it) atis linux drivers are ****. so im running unaccelerated, and doom3 is not a title to be run in softare mode. >.>

the problem is that atis drivers still only supprt xf86, and not x11 (that change bothered me before ati did nothing about it, but thats another topic). despite this lack of support, a gfx wizard friend of mine has gotten it to work before. now ati has released a patched version of their fglx drivers that supposedly fixes doom3, but theyre still based of xf86.

today or tomorrow, this friend of mine should come over and help me out. if he gets it to work, ill post the solution for any other poor ati linux users out there. if anyone can come up with their own solution, however, please do!

Linux Enthusiast
    to correct you before you get more confused:
    XFree86 and X.org are both X11
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    *looks around quickly*

suppose my post count speaks for itself... at least about linux.

haha. thanks for the reply, at least. :P

my friend came over and worked to no avail. ive got x.org 6.7 (i believe... im at school so theres no way to check). and am using the most up-to-date linux drivers available to the general public. i believe the error was in the texturing unit. doom3 _ran_, but was being over-flowed with error messages (ill post them later if i can). the bizarre thing is that the game was running and the menus came up, but there was literally a 2-3 minute delay before anything happened. so, i hit ctrl+shift+tilde and typed exit and hit enter, and a few minutes after mars faded into the background of the menu, the game exited.

so, yeah... still borked. but hey, i got a 750mhz p3 up and running. but get this, windows wont install (it was originally supposed to be a lan party only machine), but linux will. XD

penguin power.

X11 has two assemblies
    Xfree86 the original X server

Xorg the new fork of the Xfree86

those ATI drivers were written for Xfree86 but it is supposed to work with Xorg however thats if you have 6.7 and 6.8 is the newest release. i have had nothing but problems. the fglrxconfig file produces a XFree86-4 file that is supposed to be the config file for X11 however what i have been doing since xorg.conf is the config file for Xorg is i made a back up copy of xorg.conf then created a symbolic link to the new config file pointed to the name of the xorg.conf

Code:
    cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.bak
    rm xorg.conf
    ln -s xorg.conf XFree86-4
    now though i still get problems becuase it gives me an error saying it cant find the device on and gives a bus id.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Engineer
    this is ok,
    issue the comamnd lspci, this will give you the PCI BUS where your video card is (even if its agp)

then from there, go into your xorg.conf, and edit with the proper PCI BUS configuration

regularly, the default PCI is 1:0:0
    but some are (like mine) 2:0:0
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Enthusiast
    Why not just copy the relevant parts from the XFree config to the X.org config instead of replaceing the whole file?
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    whee... installed the 2.6.10 kernel... killed my graphics support.

ya know... im starting to consider purchasing an nvidia card just for linuxs sake. i really love ati, but they need to get some more folks on their linux team.

but they need to get some more folks on their linux team.
    dont hold your breath its been this way for the last 5 years. i have been interested in running linux for amount fo time and everytime i have tried to run linux the ATI driver support sucks. has gotten a little better but in 5 years you hink they would have caught up with NVIDIA
    Blog

Tom's hardware story
    That is an interesting story, which covers the ATI and NVidia driver development as well. It also explains why it is better to use a NVidia card instead of an ATI card because driver support of NVidia is so much better for the Linux/X11 platform
    I\'m so tired .....

my only problem with nvidia is i dont have the money right now to buy one lol i have used and kept so many ati cards over the years that i wished i had opted for the ndvidia now plus eve on windows the ultra cards out perform and have a higher clockspeed and pipeline than any ati card out up to the 9800 prog the x series cards i do not have a familiarity with. i looked at the 6800 ultra and it way out performed and had better specs than the 9800 pro. the next generation cards are getting more expensive it seems as well. though i was under 200 for the 6800 ultra.
    Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast