Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running DSL on an old 75 mhz laptop. I am using XF86_SVGA. When I start X, you get the grey background with the mouse. Then the background image loads ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Color palette problems, wonky colors?

I'm running DSL on an old 75 mhz laptop. I am using XF86_SVGA. When I start X, you get the grey background with the mouse. Then the background image loads and looks great (8 bit color) and then the color palette shifts, or something happening with the colors, and boy does the desktop look crappy.

I've recorded a video of what it is doing so someone can help me figure out what to do about it....blah it wont let me post the video url. I'll attach an image of it great and then terrible.

I'm not sure what is causing the display to change drastically after looking great for a second.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Joined!
    If this helps, here is the same image opened in some image viewer. Colors are still botched but different!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linux User
    First of all, congratulations on putting dsl on a crappy old typewriter. I have a few of them laying around. They work better than they did when they had some doze flavor, but everybody scorns them anyway. They don't play Halo and the sreen is too small!

The answer to your question: More info please. Make, Model, Year, Video card, blah blah blah.

I haven't used dsl for a long time but I remember that when I did last use it, the coloring was garish and sometimes bleached out altogether. I think dsl uses xvesa as its X server, not xorg. Maybe it doesn't handle some video cards very well.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Just Joined!
    Compaq LTE Elite 4/75. For a crappy 'ol typewriter it sure is fun. I have OS/2 3.0, Win98 and DSL in a triple boot.

There is a detailed list of specs here: tuxmobil.org/compaq_lte475cx_en.html, and here is a quote on the graphics chip
    The WD/Paradise 90C24 by Western Digital works with 640x480 and 800x600 resolution. To work with XFree86 3.3.6 I modified the XF86Config from the XFree86 3.1 and WD90C24 Notebook Video Chipset mini-HOWTO by Darin Ernst <dernst_at_pppl.gov, darin_at_castle.net> version: 0.96 8/10/95 . The XF86Config file is in the appendix below.
    Out of the box with DSL I couldnt get the xfbdev to work at all. Xvesa would start up in 640x480 with 16 colors. Because it was only 16 colors most apps won't even run, not dillo or even the "shutdown" menu.

I loosely followed some posts from this thread: damnsmalllinux.org/static/act-Print/f-10/t-11849.html. I installed XF86_SVGA (XFree86) and I used the XF86Config file from the first link. That gets me started up in a variety of screen resolutions, in 8 bit color, so apps work.

Hopefully that is enough info to get us started on a solution...

Update: Here is the youtube vid I made (if it lets me post this) youtube.com/watch?v=nDyM30gsENI

Update 2: DSL has a widget running in X called torsmo and when X starts up it shows ~5-6 mb of my 16mb or ram taken up. I only note that because I wondered if it was a ram issue.
    Last edited by pcm2a; 08-18-2013 at 03:16 AM.