Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using Debian Squeeze I want to try Openbox for a window manager. Like to know what setups people have with this manager: what programs are needed to go with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What setup/programs needed for Openbox?

Using Debian Squeeze

I want to try Openbox for a window manager. Like to know what setups people have with this manager: what programs are needed to go with the manager to run a desktop, and what would be a good way to set this up. I read a bit on the Net. I think I have an idea of how to set up the menu and Obconf. I'm not sure of all else that would be good to have and how to configure it.

Thanks for help

You will need a separate panel/taskbar since openbox doesn't include one. I use openbox on Crux with pypanel, but there are probably other candidates. Or you could use fluxbox, which is very similar to openbox but with a panel built in.

There are a group of applets written for blackbox which you might be interested in if you want things like icons or a run box. They all have names beginning with "bb".
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    tint2 will give you a panel for open windows and a system tray, nitrogen will provide a gui to manage desktop backgrounds and if you want display compositing (transparency and shadows etc.) then you could do a lot worse than xcompmgr
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    Can someone explain what the difference between these terms mean: pager, task bar, system tray, launcher? I think I understand what a launcher is, but unsure how that differs from a system tray or task bar. Pager I assume is to change between desktops.

Which programs can I use that would be easier to configure?

Thanks
    Last edited by JoeS; 09-08-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    A task bar sits at one edge of the monitor and has a list of open windows in it so you can click to switch between them. A system tray is where various background programs or utilities sit out of the way.

If you would like an easier way into Open Box and still be Debian compatible then have a look at Crunchbang Linux. They have done a really good job with Open Box
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Hello,

I have installed OpenBox from a base non-gui install. It seems to work well enough, if you get obconf and obmenu, it makes the setup and changing a bit easier. I also installed tint2, and the defaults are acceptable to get it up and running, although it does not have transparency without xcompmgr, which makes it look just a tad better. I had to tweak the date/time display to get it to look good... If you want something a little prettier than tint2, then maybe something like cairo-dock will work for you. Again, you are going to need xcompmgr for the transparencies. Cairo-dock gives you a launcher/taskbar in one nice looking Mac-Like bar, animations and all...

Aside from that, I would go with Chrome for the web browser, xfe for the file browser, and xfwrite for the text editor.

Just Joined!

Differences

Pager - shows different displays (tint2 / cairo)
    task bar - shows running applications (tint2 / cairo)
    system tray - calendar, clock I believe (tint2)
    launcher - application icon launcher (cairo)

Tint2 menus are a sort of launcher, although not icon based. I believe there are also applets for cairo that can be used as system tray displays...

Although for system info, I may just use conky...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Can someone explain what the difference between these terms mean: pager, task bar, system tray, launcher? I think I understand what a launcher is, but unsure how that differs from a system tray or task bar. Pager I assume is to change between desktops.

Which programs can I use that would be easier to configure?

Thanks

although not icon based.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nld6r8.jpg

My pastebin if you need it

tint2rc - Pastebin.com

I have since sold that netbook so the pastebin is all I have on file anymore
    on that config for that desktop. The tint2 panel is set to autohide when not in use. You will need to use the application.desktop files you have in /usr/share/applications to replace mine.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home