Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm still fairly new to Linux, so I apologize if this post should be in a different forum location. We're using Redhat Enterprise 6.1 in my workplace, and are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to get a full screen window to stretch across dual monitors

Hello,

I'm still fairly new to Linux, so I apologize if this post should be in a different forum location.

We're using Redhat Enterprise 6.1 in my workplace, and are setting up a computer with dual 42" monitors. Our software requires a BIG display that will stretch across both monitors. The computer uses an NVidia graphics card (Quadro NVS 450 to be specific) that has four DP ports. We're using two of them obviously.

I got the dual monitors to work by installing the NVidia driver, and having it auto config the "xorg.conf" file. Right now it's set up to run a Twin display so that the desktop is continuous from one monitor to the other. It works great, the problem that we're having is with fullscreen windows.

We need our program window to stretch across both monitors as I mentioned before. And you can physically stretch the window to cover both, but as soon as you click the full screen button on the window, it automatically snaps back to only cover one monitor. Unfortunately, it's not practical for our customer to make them switch to windowed mode and stretch the window every time the computer boots (our program automatically comes up in full screen on bootup).

Is there a way to make full screen windows cover both monitors? I've tried using wmctrl, but it doesn't seem to work for full screen windows. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Using Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Release 6.1 (Santiago)
    Kernel Linux 2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.i686
    GNOME 2.28.2

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Unfortunately, I don't think you can do that. If you switch to non-fullscreen mode and stretch the window to cover both screens (using twinview), then switching to "fullscreen" mode will make it only cover one of the screens. Switching back to non-fullscreen mode will restore it to its full dual-screen (stretched) display. I think you are going to need to make your software smarter in handling dual displays, including a configuration option where the user can specify that your code "remembers" the window size+location so it can use that on restart.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think you can do that. If you switch to non-fullscreen mode and stretch the window to cover both screens (using twinview), then switching to "fullscreen" mode will make it only cover one of the screens. Switching back to non-fullscreen mode will restore it to its full dual-screen (stretched) display. I think you are going to need to make your software smarter in handling dual displays, including a configuration option where the user can specify that your code "remembers" the window size+location so it can use that on restart.
    Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the response.

Actually, I did find a way to get it to work the way I wanted it to. I talked to a guy who works on another project, and apparently, he had the same problem with another computer, and he found a way to get it so that fullscreen windows cover all monitors. Both his computer and mine were running Metacity Window Manager, and he found that if kind of dumbed down the source code for it, and reinstalled it, it would work. He downloaded an RPM file for it, and disabled something called Xinerama in the code before installing the RPM. I guess that doing so basically forces the NVidia driver to handle window management, and it makes fullscreen windows stretch across all screens.

The directions are kind of complicated, but I can post them if anybody wants. Thanks again!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ah, the joy of open source software! If it doesn't do what you want, then just change it!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Haha ain't it the truth. x)