Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By atreyu
  • 1 Post By atreyu
Hello, i have SSH access and my aim is to install remote desktop accessible via VNC on my plain linux centos5.x/redhat server. Here is an info that LXDE works on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lightbulb LXDE RDP on CentOS?

Hello, i have SSH access and my aim is to install remote desktop accessible via VNC on my plain linux centos5.x/redhat server.

Here is an info that LXDE works on CentOS (yum install lxde) my result is: "No package lxde available.". But thats not a big problem, i think i can install it somehow manually. Issue is with VNC server, there is some guide and there too, but it looks little bit complicated.. anyone have idea on simple setup or link to short efficient guide?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Here is an info that LXDE works on CentOS (yum install lxde) my result is: "No package lxde available.". But thats not a big problem, i think i can install it somehow manually.
    Code:
    yum groupinstall LXDE
    Issue is with VNC server, there is some guide and there too, but it looks little bit complicated.. anyone have idea on simple setup or link to short efficient guide?
    1. install VNC server as root:
    Code:
    su - ;yum install vnc-server
    2. install password for regular user
    Code:
    vncpasswd
    (enter VNC password twice, it should be written - encrypted - to ~/.vnc/passwd)

3. create VNC session start-up script for regular user. create/edit a file called:

Code:
    ~/.vnc/xstartup
    and in it put:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    startlxde &
    mark that script executable:
    Code:
    chmod +x ~/.vnc/xstartup
    now start the vnc server as the regular user:
    Code:
    vncserver :1
    the :1 is the display number, it can be any number but :0 (That is the desktop display).

now the Xvnc process should have kicked off, and the lxde session should be running in it. look for them in "ps". if it doesn't start up, check the logs in the ~/.vnc/ directory.

now try to connect from the local machine (might need to "yum install vnc" first), e.g.:

Code:
    vncviewer localhost:1
    Note that you may have firewall issues, if connecting from a remote client.

You can integrate this as a daemon/service (so it starts up with the rest of the init system upon boot up), but get this part working first.
    postcd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    now start the vnc server as the regular user:
    Code:
    vncserver :1
    the :1 is the display number, it can be any number but :0 (That is the desktop display).
    Instead of taking this step, you could also edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers and put a 'permanent' vnc session into that for the user you set the vncpasswd for earlier.

Then, when you start the vnc server with

Code:
    service vncserver start
    it kicks off a session that keeps running and which is separate to your terminal login, you just connect when you want with a VNC client and your password.

You can ensure it always starts after each reboot with

Code:
    chkconfig vncserver on
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    yeah, roxoff, this is what i meant by "You can integrate this as a daemon/service", but i find it good to test first, before making things permanent. you've saved me a post, though!

When do: yum groupinstall LXDE , it returns:
    "Warning: Group LXDE does not exist."

uname -a
    Linux * 2.6.18-348.3.1.el5.028stab106.2 #1 SMP Wed Mar 27 16:56:40 MSK 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

any idea please what repository to add or where to download, what to do?

According to the official LXDE docs the correct incantation should be

Code:
    yum install @lxde-desktop
    I've not tried this personally, though.

Code:
    ------
    this returned: "0 packages excluded due to repository protections"

I used this manual to install Gnome Desktop instead on my centos 5.x, but still would like to do LXDE, because its easier to manage and has package manager (synaptic).

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Code:
    ------
    this returned: "0 packages excluded due to repository protections".
    sorry, that groupinstall command will only work on later versions of CentOS/RHEL, i guess. i know it works on Fedora. i don't have a CentOS 5/RHEL 5 box handy, so I'm kind of flying blind...but looking around, I don't see any LXDE RPM packages for CentOS/RHEL 5. it looks like you may have to build from source, if you really want it. that, or try XFCE (the packages are available via the EPEL repo, see how to install and enable the repo here) or one of the other lightweight alternatives (e.g., i like fluxbox).
    postcd likes this.

I do have a CentOS 5 box (just - I'm decommissioning it), so I now had a chance to try it. Even:

Code:
    yum list available|grep lxde
    returns no results - so if you're desperate for lxde, it probably means building it yourself, as atreyu says. There are alternatives, though. On that Centos5 system I use xfce as my 'lighteweight' desktop. You could give that a try.