Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Point Linux and am trying to set it up with the terminal and all of a sudden I get the following: Granted permissions without asking for password ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

glnman

I just installed Point Linux and am trying to set it up with the terminal and all of a sudden I get the following: Granted permissions without asking for password

The '/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator' program was started with the privileges of the root user without the need to ask for a password, due to your system's authentication mechanism setup.

It is possible that you are being allowed to run specific programs as user root without the need for a password, or that the password is cached.

This is not a problem report; it's simply a notification to make sure you are aware of this.

Now I can't open Dolphin in root to make changes. How do I fix this?

Just Joined!
    Are you running as root, or are you logged in as a regular user with a root terminal open?

The error message suggests a problem with starting a root terminal, not with starting Dolphin. If the root terminal is the issue, have you tried opening a regular terminal and using "sudo"?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dabgdk View Post
    Are you running as root, or are you logged in as a regular user with a root terminal open?

The error message suggests a problem with starting a root terminal, not with starting Dolphin. If the root terminal is the issue, have you tried opening a regular terminal and using "sudo"?
    Yes I've tried the regular terminal but get the same result. I understand it's a terminal problem but I needed to open Dolphin as root in order to copy and edit some files. I'm logged in as a regular user. Now when ever I try to open the root terminal I get the error message I posted and when I close it the terminal never opens and thisd is a big problem for me.

Just Joined!
    Try opening a regular terminal and doing "sudo su".

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by glnman View Post
    I just installed Point Linux and am trying to set it up with the terminal and all of a sudden I get the following: Granted permissions without asking for password

The '/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator' program was started with the privileges of the root user without the need to ask for a password, due to your system's authentication mechanism setup.

It is possible that you are being allowed to run specific programs as user root without the need for a password, or that the password is cached.

This is not a problem report; it's simply a notification to make sure you are aware of this.

Now I can't open Dolphin in root to make changes. How do I fix this?
    Point Linux uses the Mate Desktop as I understand it; which means the message you are getting is quite normal. To get rid of it, log off and on again. The first time you are asked for a password, there should be a "Remember password" check box. Make sure it is un-ticked and you should be asked for your password every time.

I'm not sure where Dolphin fits as the Mate file manager is Caja.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Point Linux uses the Mate Desktop as I understand it; which means the message you are getting is quite normal. To get rid of it, log off and on again. The first time you are asked for a password, there should be a "Remember password" check box. Make sure it is un-ticked and you should be asked for your password every time.

I'm not sure where Dolphin fits as the Mate file manager is Caja.
    Yes, I like Dolphin (the KDE browser) so I installed it. I had other things I didn't like about Point Linux so I have now installed Ubuntu 13.10 and have eliminated the problem. Thanks so much for your help.