Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i installed default VNC server and GNome Desktop on my Centos 5.x linux. When i access Desktop, i cant see any package manager so i can manage easilly software ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gnome Desktop - no package manager, how to install?

Hello,

i installed default VNC server and GNome Desktop on my Centos 5.x linux. When i access Desktop, i cant see any package manager so i can manage easilly software from within desktop.

I know LXDE has Synaptic package manager and i also found:
    PackageKit - Main Page
    Yum Extender

but im unsure how to install it, from Yum, there are no packages for it found... Thx

I always use yumex - but I can't remember whether it's in the main repositories or not (it is for some distributions but not for others, and it's a long time since I installed CentOS 5). You can install it with 'yum install yumex' as root, but it it fails because it's not available, then drop by rpmfusion and follow their instructions for how to enable the 'epel' repository for Centos. You might want to put the rpmfusion free and non-free repositories on too while you're there.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Thx, yes yumex was found in repositories of my centos 5.x, after reboot of vps, i was able to see the Yum extender icon in the Gnome Desktop menu, but when i clicked, it actually never launched.

Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Thx, yes yumex was found in repositories of my centos 5.x, after reboot of vps, i was able to see the Yum extender icon in the Gnome Desktop menu, but when i clicked, it actually never launched.
    If you try to launch it from a terminal window (just 'yumex' at the command prompt), it might give you a bit more information about what's failing. I suspect it'll be trying to pop up a box to ask for the root password, and that's failing - but it'll be hard to say for certain until without a bit more information..
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/