Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, everyone! I have a question for you. I've been using Lubuntu with LXDE for a while now and I have been impressed by LXDE's simplicity. I have a few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where should I start

Hello, everyone! I have a question for you. I've been using Lubuntu with LXDE for a while now and I have been impressed by LXDE's simplicity. I have a few ideas myself for a simple, lightweight Linux environment. That's why I decided to make my very own simple Linux environment (like LXDE, XFCE, etc.). The problem is, there are no tutorials on the internet on how to do just that, so my question is: Where should I start?

Hit google or your fave search engine and there are multiple sources of info, here's one.....

How to Build Your Own Linux Distro: 8 Steps - wikiHow

Just Joined!
    This doesn't answer my question. The link you provided doesn't even do what it says it should decently. What I'm looking for is to create my own graphical user interface. The first step is probably downloading the source code for LXDE and looking at the code. I have another question. Could it be possible to create a gui that uses less than 100 MiB when the computer boots up? I know from my personal experience that LXDE uses about 145 MiB on my machine immediately after start up. For the GUI that I'm designing I setted up an ambitious goal. The whole distro running my GUI should not at any point, when it is only running the system and a single other program, go beyond 128 MiB RAM limit. That's because I'm trying to make it appeal to users with older hardware, but I'm also trying to get some tablet users, as the GUI itself can very easily be used from a tablet.

Then why don't you join the LXDE project doing blackbox QA testing and work up to do whitebox testing digging into the code. That will get up into all the inter-relationships of the pieces and you can start discovering areas to enhanse or enough understanding to spin off your own package. When I was still working in development all noobs started in QA, best way to learn the code.

i just had a quick look at the link docbop provided - it is evil.

you still haven't clarified what exactly you want to do: start coding your own apps to create a whole DE?
    or create your own mix from what is there?

if the first, i'd say you suffer from delusions of grandeur. but why not, give it a go!
    if the second, there's a few distros that enable you to create your own desktop (e.g. archlinux, or debian...).
    Last edited by nihili; 12-21-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Just Joined!
    As I said in my previous post, I have some ideas for a simple, lightweight DE. I was impressed by LXDE's simplicity and I wondered if the DE could be even simpler yet fully feature-packed. I realize that this isn't a job for only one man, but I was hoping that more people would join the project after I create the project's website and upload some of my ideas. I have a few questions. Which programming language will I have to use if I want to create a DE like LXDE? What's the best way to do it?

Oh, any by the way, it will be based on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by BusyV; 12-21-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Just Joined!
    this project is nice but remember it is not an easy task.