Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Printing from a thin client to a printer ON the client

How do I do this? I plan to use CentOS as the X Server machine.

Thx.

Well, install X for a start

If you are planning to run something on the CentOS but have the displays on a client machine, you must set the env var "DISPLAY" in the shell that runs the program to the ip address of the client machine. Configure the the X on the client machine to allow remote access to the local X server.

Having said that, I realise that I don't fully understand what you are trying to achieve here.

Ooops! Note to self Read the title before inserting foot in mouth.

What's printing got to do with X? Can't you just configure the "local" CUPS server to print to a locally-attached printer?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry, I'm just trying to figure things out step by step for myself - if I set up a dickless workstation, the kernel downloads from a server and runs locally, right? So if I'm trying to print to a printer connected to that client, I just tell it to print to that USB port or whatever, right?
    Just never done this, so getting a bit confused.

Also, I've never set up CUPS, and have only a hazy idea of what it is , heh! :} (but finding out at a rapid pace though! )

Hi, if you are setting up diskless terminals you may want to take a look at LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project)

Linux Terminal Server Project - Welcome to LTSP.org
    How to Install LTSP on CentOS 6 | The Candid Root

If it is only one terminal it may be an overkill, but it has all the infrastructure you need to make it work

Good luck