Find the answer to your Linux question:
Gnome kept crashing on me last night, so I decided to mess around with KDE. I am running Red Hat 9.0 so I think the version of KDE I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Themes in KDE

Gnome kept crashing on me last night, so I decided to mess around with KDE. I am running Red Hat 9.0 so I think the version of KDE I have is 3. Anyways, my question is how do you install new themes? I know you go to the control center and select themes, but I have downloaded a few themes and tried to install them. I get the error message "file does not contain .themerc or .theme file" But I checked the archieves and they do have a .themerc file. Is there something I am doing wrong? Please help.

Thanks,

Linux Enthusiast
    there are instructions on my guide on how to do this

see the helpful tips page (4) of the link in my sig below

keep in mind that some themes are third party and might not be compatible with the latest kde

Linux Engineer
    Visit this page, its ultimate for kde-users. Good tutrials and a many many themes and wallpapers and other cool stuff.

Try karamba and slicker. Thats 2 fun things that can do your graphical interface much more fun.

http://www.kdelook.org/

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux User
    Themes from third party might contain huge sum of bugs, watch out, try not to install them. better not to mess around with the desktop.

As for the Gnome crashing part, try downgrade yr system hardware speed, eg, ram speed, if u r using DDR 333, try slow it down to DDR 266 or even slower. display card plays part here as well, dun use 24 bits, use 16 or even lower to see if this works for ya there. perhaps u could config the bios display option, eg, do not use video cache................

I suggest you to use the X-windows desktop to mess around, ha ha ha

regards

Good luck.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by andutt
    Visit this page, its ultimate for kde-users. Good tutrials and a many many themes and wallpapers and other cool stuff.

Try karamba and slicker. Thats 2 fun things that can do your graphical interface much more fun.

http://www.kdelook.org/

Regards
    Do you know of any simmilar sites for gnome ?

Linux Engineer
    Im not really a gnome guy.... im mustly using kde if im not in textmode...so sorry...

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Newbie
    I used to go here and here when I used gnome.

Hope it of some use to you.