Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm dealing with a problem on Linux (Red Hat 4.4.7-4) which is related to X window system. In my program, I use: "main_w = XmCreateMainWindow (toplevel, "main_w", NULL, 0);" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about X window system "XmCreateMainWindow"

Hi, I'm dealing with a problem on Linux (Red Hat 4.4.7-4) which is related to X window system. In my program, I use:

"main_w = XmCreateMainWindow (toplevel, "main_w", NULL, 0);"

to create a main window and I find that the window id value of the first child of main_w is a very large integer "267110801680". I use the command below to find this number

when I debug it in DDD:

print *(((CompositeWidget) main_w)->composite)->children[0]

This large integer results in a memory problem when I use Valgrind to check the memory leakage which is "Invalid read".

The abnormal large integer should be a return value from "XmCreateMainWindow" and is it related to my operating system?

BR
    Dong

Linux Guru
    If the only problem is that Valgrind is issuing a warning then you don't really have a problem. Valgrind will sometimes issue a warning if it doesn't correctly interpret something. It probably doesn't confirm it as memory leak?

The actual value returned is simply a widget id used internally by the library.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Yes you may right. There is a warning in Valgrind but no visible problems. I just wondering whether the ID value is abnormal since the other 300 ID values all looks reasonable and meaningful. Thanks for your suggestion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close