Find the answer to your Linux question:
First port one LF. Yay. So........ I succesfully installed Openbox with Tint2 & Nitrogen wallpaper thingy, on Linux Mint Debian . Problems: 1. Tint2 configuration automatically restores to default when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Problems with OpenBox / Tint2 / Nitrogen config (Distro: Mint Debian)

First port one LF. Yay. So........

I succesfully installed Openbox with Tint2 & Nitrogen wallpaper thingy, on Linux Mint Debian.

Problems:

1. Tint2 configuration automatically restores to default when i reboot, so i have to reconfigure everytime i startup/login.

1a. I try to remove the extra desktops, which i dont need, which come back after every reboot.

1b. The icons on the bottom left of the panel (currently Update Manager & Network monitor) are DOUBLE!! I CAN remove the Update thing, which then ofc comes back after reboot, but i cant even touch the Network ones. I just need one of each lol. Should be pretty obvious.

2. I cannot install a Launcher button for the life of me!!!!!!! Argh. Please help, or provide a SIMPLE .conf configuration that works...... Thanks

3. Nitrogen wallpaper disappears after reboot.

4. Can you recommend a good file manager? Im currently using Doplhin (its ok... i guess.) as i cant access the one i was using on Mint (MATE default one, i think) for some reason.

What r i doing wrong?

Thank you!

Linux Newbie
    So you installed Mint Debian (Mate?) and then wanted to switch the desktop environment? If you have not changed the startup configuration, it's defaulting to the Mate config which "forgets" the edits you made the previous session. When you login is the openbox DE there for you to select as the DE of choice?

I have a Debian setup with XFCE & LXDE installed and I choose which I want to use at login and each stores its own configuration.

If you want to run Openbox with Tint2 - download and install Crunchbang as that's exactly what it is...
    Last edited by NGIB; 06-18-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    So you installed Mint Debian (Mate?) and then wanted to switch the desktop environment? If you have not changed the startup configuration, it's defaulting to the Mate config which "forgets" the edits you made the previous session. When you login is the openbox DE there for you to select as the DE of choice?

I have a Debian setup with XFCE & LXDE installed and I choose which I want to use at login and each stores its own configuration...
    i changed OB to default DE at login screen. thats the first thing i did basically. so the problem is somewhere else.
    Last edited by mindsword; 06-18-2014 at 07:01 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Mint is a pretty complex system and stepping back to OB is likely causing the issues. Again, if you want the simplicity of Openbox with Tint2 panel then Crunchbang will work for you out of the box. Remember, you installed openbox and tint2 on top of what was already there and that's why there are probably conflicts. I'm not much more than a newbie myself but mixing DEs has not went overly well in my experience. XFCE and LXDE coexist very well together as they are both lightweight DEs and don't carry a lot of excess baggage.

Look at your "session start up" options and see what is being loaded at start up. It's likely that a lot of stuff from the prior DE is being brought in and that stuff you want is not being loaded...

Just Joined!
    Crunchbang has some installation problems on this PC it seems which i cannot solve.... It stops in the middle of install....... Plus i kinda like Mint debian. I also thought about lubuntu, but right now i dont have any DVD's where im at. So Mint is my only option right now. Also im very tired of XFCE & LXDE... I need something new and configurable, so im deffo going with OB even if i have to battle for a while.... I like this DE and im trying to stick with it. I see it as a nice opportunity to learn about config files n ish
    OB seems to be heavily based around the config files for any tweaking..

Any idea how to fix the MATE OB/Tint conflict problems? Where would you go first?

Linux Newbie
    Surprising a PC will install Mint Debian and not Crunchbang, do you have nvidia video?

You'll need to look in the autostart file that should be stored in your home directory (as a hidden file in hidden directory). I have little experience with Mint Mate so I can't give you any specifics. I have to bow out as I'm over my head here as you need info I don't have. Have you related your problems over on the Crunchbang forums? I ran it for a time and they were a pretty helpful bunch over there...

Just Joined!
    Ill check out the CB forums... thanks bro