Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, happy new year. Pls does anyone or can anyone help me out with this: 1. My windows monitor is 15"(Compaq presario 2500) and that of Linux is 14"(desktop)....The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

VNC on (WinXP) and Linux - Display issues

hi guys,

happy new year. Pls does anyone or can anyone help me out with this:

1. My windows monitor is 15"(Compaq presario 2500) and that of Linux is 14"(desktop)....The Linux VNC display on my windows monitor is bigger...as in I have to scroll down(on windows PC) to see the taskbar...

how do I adjust/what dimensions should I use in my /.vnc/xstartup file

2.Eventhough my Linux PC screen is visible on my windows laptop, pls note that its not real-time.
    example: for a VNC installation on 2 winXP machines, I connect to XPb from XPa, I can see whatever is going on at XPb real-time(dektop changes) from XPa.

the above example is what I would want to achieve on my present VNC installation(Linux) and Windows. I connect to the Linux machine from my windows machine, but what I see(VNC) is only the normal desktop. Eventhough Im doing some stuff(ex: im browsing and opening some documents) on my Linux machine and my screen changes etc, nothing happens/changes on my windows VNC connection.

Pls, is this how VNC behaves on Linux+Windows or there are some configs somewhere I have to tweak with.

thanks
    Tokunbo

Linux Guru
    For number one, you should be able to set the defualt screen size in your VNC config file (~/.vnc/xstartup) using the -geometry option.

For number two, that's just the way it works in Linux. In Windows, there's only one GUI server, so when you connect to it, you see the current login (i.e. when you click start, the menu appears in both the VNC Vewier and the Windows box). In Linux, there's mulitple servers, so when you connect you get your own session. For example, I can physically login as myself three times and be running three sessions that won't interact with each other. In essence, that's what you're doing when you VNC into Linux, starting a new session. In fact on Linux, you can't VNC into an existing session, you'll get an error.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    hi Jeremy,

thanks for the clarifications.

About the screen size stuff, I'll fiddle with the settings and see how it goes.

About the VNC issue, thanks for the info. I had thought that something was wrong somehow...

I would suppose a reverse connection won't behave the same way....as in VNCn from Linux to Windows - I'll be able to see real-time whats happening on WIndows desktop from Linux VNC screen. Ive not tried it but from your explanation I just thought it might be possible....am I right?

My reason for asking my previous question(former post) and this new one is that I was thinking of something like "remote desktop assistance".....as in performing a task on another persons PC(from my own PC- Linux to Linux of Win to Linx /vice-versa) while a person at the other end sees real-time whats happening real-time.....

So is this possible in Linux...'remote desktop assistance' where the real-time desktop issue comes in......or is there another entire way of doing this kind of thing.

thanks
    Tokunbo

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokunbo
    I would suppose a reverse connection won't behave the same way....as in VNCn from Linux to Windows - I'll be able to see real-time whats happening on WIndows desktop from Linux VNC screen. Ive not tried it but from your explanation I just thought it might be possible....am I right?

So is this possible in Linux...'remote desktop assistance' where the real-time desktop issue comes in......or is there another entire way of doing this kind of thing.
    You are right about the reverse situation Linux > Windows.
    I don't know about the remote desktop, anyone else?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I'm using Suse 9.2 and i can VNC into it and see the running Desktop so it must be possible on Mandrake aswell, but i can't directly help!