Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently I installed Mandrake 8.1 and Red Hat 7.2 in a Dell Optiplex GX 100 500 Mhz Celeron 128 MB ram, Intel 810 video onboard, and Creative Ensonic sound card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suspicious trouble with KDE 2.2

Recently I installed Mandrake 8.1 and Red Hat 7.2 in a Dell Optiplex GX 100 500 Mhz Celeron 128 MB ram, Intel 810 video onboard, and Creative Ensonic sound card Compaq V55 color monitor.
    Everything seems to be working very nice in Mandrake, even tux racer game displays full screen and very colorful at 16 bits and I am using 800X600 display, but when I open after a while a program or Konqueror for instance, the menus appear to have vertical black lines evenly spaced and the displacement bar vertical and horizontal display the same error but honestly they continue to work nice but with a ugly display. The same error happens with Red Hat 7.2. I am not sure if the Xfree86 4.x I am using is fully compatible I installed Mandrake again with Xfree86 3.x and did not make a new trick. Last time I ran that CDs was with a Deskpro 2000 MMX at 200 MHz and the S3 chip supported the display very nice.
    The installation of Mandrake did not let me to test the X configuration. Strange, because I install it regularly with that test. And at the beginning the display is at 8 bits.

Any ideas? Is there a solution? When I open the Xterm without menu display everything goes as if there is no problem with the menus. More mystery.

Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    The driver doesn't fully compatible with your board. What driver are you using?

Just Joined!

not just the driver

I do not know why, but Red Hat and Mandrake sometimes when I logout of KDE or I make a halt to the system when I select in the shutdown dialog when I logout, system just hang up and I have to reboot with the SysRq secuency. Until yesterday that the system came to a corrupted file system that forced me to reinstall all the OS. In mandrake I found three choices for the Xfree86, I choose the Xfree86 with 3d rendering and as I told you last time tux, openuniverse works fine. they are somewhat 3D and my video chips are intel 810 and the programs work faster and fine. this situation forced me to reinstall Win 2k on the hard disk again and there is no confilcts with Win, and the diagnostics test with the Dell utilities shows no sign of hardware problems.

about the video driver, I do not know what it was, but Intel on its support website says the i810 is compatible with Rh 6.x

I do not know what to do because I can tolerate the appearence of the windows, but the logout trouble and its legacy are very frustrating.

If you believe what causes this situation, or think that a more updated version of the OS will do a miracle please let me know.

thanks for your help