Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I recently installed gentoo onto my laptop, and while that went fine, I am having one slight problem with X/KDE/Gnome: the terminal programs do not work. Well, they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with Xterm,Konsole,etc.

Hey guys,

I recently installed gentoo onto my laptop, and while that went fine, I am having one slight problem with X/KDE/Gnome: the terminal programs do not work. Well, they work for root, but for the love of God I cannot figure out how to get it to work for non-root users. I would greatly appreciate any help regarding this problem.

thanks

What exactly happens when you try to access them? also try
    RUN>xterm #as a normal user in X.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    When I run them all that happens is the program loads up, and in the input area, instead of the standard '$' or '#', there is just a solid rectangle where the prompt should be and it will not accept any input.

Linux Engineer
    I had this problem before, it was because some permissions on some device files weren't quite right. I can't for the life of me remember which devices it was. I think it was /dev/pty something or other, but when I look on my system pty isn't even there...

I would reccomend checking permissions in /dev and make sure nothing is all weird.

Just Joined!
    Resolved it. I do believe the permissions in /dev were wrong. However, installing udev seemed to resolve this issue pretty well.