Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best DE/WM for beginners?

So which one do you recommend in terms of configurability (in order to get some Linux understanding), Windows/Apple/Android look/feel and beginner friendliness/usability and ease of use? Full DE or WM/tool combo? I'm thinking LXDE, Cinnamon or Gnome3 personally (with gnome3 on the bottom of that specific list).

Also Openbox with some extra tools like lxpanel (So, pretty much LXDE but without LXDE...)? Too advanced?

I know some of you are going to say XFCE, but its very clumsy in terms of newb configuration in my opinion.

I might be wrong, but you can do a lot of mistakes on openbox & XFCE making your day worse i you dont know wtf is going on.

What do you think of enlightenment/E? Any others? tinywm: Very Windows 95'y but clumsy.

I think XFCE is easier if you use a distro where it is well developed: Xubuntu is my favorite but there are many other. If you install XFCE on Debian you really need a lot of configuration but in Xubuntu it's already configured

Inviato dal mio M3s utilizzando Tapatalk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    Meaning? No bicycles under the roof?

Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by mindsword View Post
    Meaning? No bicycles under the roof?
    Possibly: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bikeshedding

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Enlightenment is, from my general understanding, the sexiest - two distros which give it are Bodhi Welcome | Bodhi Linux , and EliveCD Elive, Fast and Beautiful Linux Distro